Question Subwoofer Preamp from multiple sources

D

Deleted member 704352

Hey all,

I am working on a wiring project for my home. I have installed over 20 speakers for my upstairs alone (master bedroom and family room surround sound, and 10 dedicated audio speakers). Everything is wired to central closet that will be used to distribute all media. For the most part I planned on these systems operating completely separably. However, since my surround sounds will have a subwoofer, and I did not plan on a separate sub for audio.

I am now investigate how I can use these subs to operate on either system since only one (surround or audio) would be used at a time. my surround sound receivers have a preamp output that feeds the subwoofers preamp input (only option on the subwoofer I own). I plan on this build growing as funds become more available. I would love to go with a Sonos connect, but at $350 a pop I may delay this purchase and go with a cheaper alternative.

All this is to say, I might use a Google Chromecast and strip the audio using an adapter until I come up with a better solution. I would then split this 3.5mm signal to multiple amps that feed the music speakers. The question is what type of signal would I need to produce to send to the sub as a preamp? I can find 3.5mm to RCA adapters, but that leaves me with a left and right where the sub is a single input.

Also, does anyone know of a good automatic switcher between two rca sources based on input levels (since I would like this to be an automatic process).

Thanks!

Although you can get combiners to mix down (a couple of 100Kohm resistors would do) bass tends to be present in both channels, so it is not uncommon to just drive the s/w with one side only.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom