Question Subwoofer Positioning?

soziblewuup

Hi,

I'm making some changes to the layout of my bedroom and looking to find the best position for my subwoofer. Unfortunately these changes will be on-going over the next month, so I can't currently test which position sounds best.

I have made a mock-up of what the room should look like. Hopefully some of you guys will be able to tell which position should sound best from the diagram. I have labelled possible sub positions as 1, 2, and 3. I have a feeling position 1 would probably sound best; however, running the thick Neutrik cable from the XXLS400 across a door will be a bit of a nightmare, and it most definitely isn't long enough.

I assume I may be able to buy some speaker wire and just extended the cabling? Although I'm not entirely sure if that would be possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

upload pictures

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I assume this is with a stereo amp and 2.1 configuration? If so then the sub will work best the closer it is to the speakers as possible. Hence position 3 may be better although being in a corner could give you issues with boomy bass, The best option would be between the front speakers on the top wall.

soziblewuup

Really appreciate the reply. Yes you are correct 2.1, stereo amp.

In fact that works perfectly, there's currently nothing sitting between the speakers, and I wouldn't have to do any cable extension work. Just out of curiosity what makes that position better than others from a technical standpoint?

Once again, many thanks.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Should integrate more with the speakers. Less likely to be able to locate the sub.

soziblewuup

Awesome thanks for the help.

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
In this case and although you would automatically think with a 2.1 music setup , would be to place the subwoofer close too or in the center of both main speakers is not necessarily the correct approach!!

Your room dimensions and mlp positioning with in that room takes pride of place in-terms of placing a subwoofer in the best location , if using REW's room simulator dictated that the best position was 6" right of the top left bedside table before any EQ'ing was implemented , this would actually make the subwoofer blend in and turn invisible!

Especially after EQ'ing and optimum xover settings were made ................What i would ask of the op is what are your actual room dimensions LxWxH plus!! what type of sub / systems EQ will you be using.

soziblewuup

Interesting, well my room dimensions are roughly 16 ft 10" L, 11ft 10" W, not a clue high tbh. probably in the region of 7/8 ft.
I haven't currently got any advanced EQ'ing software. I tend to go by ear.

My equipment:

Pioneer A-676 Amp
Monitor Audio BR2's on Soundstyle Z2 speaker stands.
BK XXLS400 Sub

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
If i were you i would seriously look into buying the 8033c anti-mode if your not going to change your kit / receiver for a while..................What do your main speakers sound like on there own on full range with out the sub , I ask because your lower frequency response of where you have positioned your main LR speakers seems to taper off from around a 160hz down.

At 75hz you have a null of around 10db / 12db or so with the largest peak at around 47hz!! This in itself may have prompted you to want to go with a subwoofer in the first place , as i take it that looking at your main speaker will be pretty capable down to mid high 20's low 30hz frequency range at worsed.

Just a whiled guess here but are your mains around 6' from each other but around 8.5' / 9' from the listening position , which would effect them in either needing to be pointing straight ahead or toed out depending on the on/off axis specs.

Your main speaker positioning plus mlp do not give you the be response..............If you didn't want to go down the EQ route for sub or main speakers then room treatment would be the best option!! Given how much your partner loves you:D

P.S If you live on your own then happy days.

soziblewuup

Thanks for all the effort put into your response!

As I'm a casual listener I probably won't be buying an anti-mode (yet). This may change in the future.

I haven't tried listening to them in this position yet. Currently, they are facing down the room (in front of the bed).
Because my amp is so old, I've never been able to set any kind of crossover settings for the speakers. So I tend to try and adjust the frequency cut-off on the sub for a blend (it's not ideal) but my only option I believe.

Yes those dimensions sound about right. Maybe 5'/6' from each other and 8.5'/9' away from the listening position - as you stated.
What is the reason for them needing to be straight or toed out opposed to toed in? Just for my own understanding.

From your point of view how bad is the response with the current set-up? Are we talking about it sounding really poor, or still decent, just not ideal? Is there any minor changes i can make to the positioning that will improve the sound?

Many thanks again!

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
The toe out was only a guess! because the optimum-ish mlp distance is the same as the distance between both speakers..............Come to think of it , They may actually need toeing in as the distance to the mlp is larger than the distance between speakers.

There are some 5.1 / 7.1 processors around now with onboard eq and which are geared towards music which would probably suit you well.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom