Question Subwoofer Position

Sgt Hartman

Hello Fellas,

In the next weeks I'll purchase a subwoofer, Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 2, but I still have some doubt about where to place it. Looking at my room I detected 2 options, see the pictures (scale drawing), one near the towers on the front, the other in the back left corner, between the wall and the bookshelf.
Wiring is not an issue in both an issue in both scenario, of course in the second case I'll need for longer cables.
Which option do you think it's better?
Thanks!

SUB-1.PNGSUB-1F.PNGSUB-2.PNGSUB-2F.PNG

fatboy frank

Try both and see which you prefer, i suspect the rear option would be better with it being corner loaded.

Gazgum

If that was my setup (and very nice it appears too), I’d be looking to move my L & R further apart to get closer to an equilateral triangle with the MLP,and then place the sub inboard of the R or possibly L. Is the TV wall mounted and if so moveable?
Of course the rear surrounds should ideally also remain in line with the fronts if moved.
I don’t believe any loudspeaker works well in a corner,including subwoofers.

Sgt Hartman

If that was my setup (and very nice it appears too), I’d be looking to move my L & R further apart to get closer to an equilateral triangle with the MLP,and then place the sub inboard of the R or possibly L. Is the TV wall mounted and if so moveable?
I placed the sub "outside" the fronts just to stick with Dolby's standards, 22°÷30°. If I place the sub "inside" the fronts my angles go beyond 30°.
TV is not wall mounted, it's TV stand mounted (see pictures) but I would like to keep it in the middle of the wall. My main concern was about any possible disturb created by the proximity of the sub and the tower.
I don’t believe any loudspeaker works well in a corner,including subwoofers.
In the past I had a Velodyne CHT-12Q in the same corner and sounded quite good, but I honestly never tried on the front side to make a comparison, as suggested by @fatboy frank
IMG_20191025_145102.jpgIMG_20191021_194241.jpgIMG_20191024_140345.jpg

Last edited:

Conrad.

Back corner looks better in REWs room sim using approximate measurements. The large space should help with the response.

Gazgum

I’m personally not keen on placing any loudspeaker in a corner as the first thing it will strike is the adjacent wall,followed in your case by a radiator. But that seems to be what everyone else is leaning towards,and I do come from a ‘hi-fi/music first approach hence starting with L and R !
I think the key here is experimentation;for the sake of a cable it’s got to be worth it!
TV position centred on that wall is perfect,looks like good height too! :smashin:

Sgt Hartman

In the case of Arendal the 2 woofers are placed on both sides of the item, therefore one will hit the wall and the other the bookshelf.

fatboy frank

As i suggested, trying both options is the only way you'll know for sure in your room, as with everything AV, it's always a bit of a compromise, unless you are fortunate enough to have a dedicated room.

Some speakers won't work well in corners, however, that depends very much on the speaker in question and if it was designed with corner placement/boundary gain in mind, not to mention the type of wall/boundary it is in proximity to.

I am very much of the belief that we have to work with what we have, i really don't see the point in going to the extremes that some people do ....... measuring/re-measuring and constantly tweaking and adjusting ..... enjoy what you have.

Having said all that, each to their own, that's what makes this hobby of ours so interesting/enjoyable.
'Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one' :laugh:

Gazgum

In the case of Arendal the 2 woofers are placed on both sides of the item, therefore one will hit the wall and the other the bookshelf.
Ah,I didn’t realise it was a dual-firing sub!:rolleyes: Surely Arendal give some recommendations re: placement? Firing sideways into a wall and book unit seems odd to me.

Sgt Hartman

Ah,I didn’t realise it was a dual-firing sub!:rolleyes: Surely Arendal give some recommendations re: placement? Firing sideways into a wall and book unit seems odd to me.
I guess it'll be a matter to ask and a matter to try...

Gasp3621

Surely Arendal give some recommendations re: placement?
Many brands like Arendal, SVS and REL recommends to start with front corner placement as there is certain benefits to it. The driver needs minium of ~10cm space between wall/object.

Page 84-85 opens this corner placement more:

Sgt Hartman

Many brands like Arendal, SVS and REL recommends to start with front corner placement as there is certain benefits to it. The driver needs minium of ~10cm space between wall/object.

Page 84-85 opens this corner placement more:
Thanks @Gasp3621, unfortunately in my case I don't have a front corner. If placed in front I have around 90 cm to the left wall while on the right is pretty much adjacent to the left tower.
On the back corner I have 57 cm space, therefore 7.5 cm free space on each side.

Ultrasonic

Some speakers won't work well in corners, however, that depends very much on the speaker in question and if it was designed with corner placement/boundary gain in mind, not to mention the type of wall/boundary it is in proximity to.
It's important to distinguish between full-range speakers and subwoofers. With subwoofers I don't think there is any such thing as being designed to work in a corner or not, whereas with full range speakers there absolutely can be by virtue of some boundary gain being factored into the relative outputs across the frequency range. All subwoofers will benefit from boundary gain in corners to increase maximum output / reduce distortion at a desired level of output. The potential downside of corner placement is that this will also significantly excite a lot of room modes but provided appropriate EQ is able to tame these then corner placement is generally a good first guess of a good location for a sub.

Thanks @Gasp3621, unfortunately in my case I don't have a front corner.
I think the corner you identified at the start of this thread is just as good as a front corner would be. It's being in a corner that has potential advantages, not specifically being at the front as far as I can see.