Subwoofer pops when receiver powers on/off

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by 2Loud, Jan 4, 2012.

1. 2Loud

2Loud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've searched and seen a similar thread come up a few times before but they've received few if any replies so I'm hoping this one won't join those in being ignored/no one knowing the solution!

On to the problem; today I took delivery of a Musical Fidelity M3i and have just connected everything up. Sound quality is fantastic but whenever I turn the receiver on or off it triggers my subwoofer (BK XXLS400 connected via pre-out) to pop at the full volume of the sub's gain dial irrespective of the volume position on the receiver (understandably), but that means it's rather loud and also near the top end of the sub's output which is a concern. I should add that the popping that occurs is only ever through the subwoofer and not through the speakers.

I've separated the power leads so they don't share an extension cable and this has done nothing to change it. Obviously if I power off the sub first before turning off the receiver and turn the sub on 2nd after the receiver this avoids the problem but it's a little added hassle given that the power switch for the sub is down the back towards the bottom and in the past has just been left on unless it won't be used for extended periods.

This leads me on to my 2 questions; firstly, is it a fault with the pre-out of the receiver that causes this, in which case a return would be necessary? Secondly, if it's not a fault and is something I have to live with, are there any other workarounds to try and alleviate the problem?

Thanks in advance, I hope you can help!

2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,315
    That is the solution to avoid the added surge to the sub.

3. 2Loud

2Loud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So it's just something to live with and nothing to be concerned with re dodgy circuity/connections etc.?