Subwoofer plinths/platforms

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by RobinBanks, Jul 1, 2015.

1. RobinBanks

RobinBanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all,

I have been considering some kind of platform for my sub. I've heard they can improve sound by reading different threads and articles.

I have a concrete floor covered by underlay and carpet. So, do I choose a granite, solid style plinth or something more like the Auralex SubDude?

Thanks.

2. pws

pws

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    On concrete I dont see any difference with anything underneath it for me.

Have the subdude and grammas when i was in the other place on floorboards and this did help a lot.

3. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    "On concrete I dont see any difference with anything underneath it for me."

I think adding such on concrete your actually taking away some of the positive effects that would be made by the sub itself.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  4. RobinBanks

RobinBanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    How do you mean? What do you suggest?

5. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    On concrete? Some rubber feet would do fine.

6. RobinBanks

RobinBanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ah OK. Well it's on the carpet (which is on the concrete floor) with the standard BK feet and spikes...

7. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +862
    I would be skeptical of you noticing much/any benefit. One idea might be to use the inner boxing foam that your subwoofer was packed with in the shipping box? You can use the foam corners as a temporary check under the sub to see if you notice any benefit. Don't forget about the placebo effect. Then again, some would argue that is just as good as a real(measurable) improvement..;)

Tom V.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Tom how about on a floor made up of 22mm chipboard floating over 60mm of foam insulation which is on top of concrete? Am I likely to gain much benefit by decoupling my sub from the floating chipboard?

9. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    sims what gains or benefits are you after! If its to further limit any more vibrations then adding something more to isolate the sub from the chipboard would be the way to go.

People who have advocated that doing so has given them added bass output or tighter bass maybe true!! But only because isolating the sub in this way! takes away the distortion that they can hear that the room / floor vibrating adds.

And now they can hear more of what they have paid for in terms of less distortion with in the signal.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  10. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +862
    I wouldn't expect much benefit. What, exactly, are you thinking might happen here? Perhaps subwoofer enclosure is resonating to such a degree it is causing the floor to also resonate so violently it degrades system SQ? Or, is this something you are considering to isolate the sub, minimize some type of "rocking" which may lead to minute performance benefits?

Tom V.

11. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    More the first point Tom. With the floor being floating and the mdf cabinet sitting directly on it, I was wondering that if my cabinet isn't as inert as it should be whether cabinet resonances are being transferred to the floor to a significant enough degree to be of a concern?

Bear in mind that this is a DIY sub with an 18" driver, not a commercially produced cabinet designed with the benefit of significant R&D like your PSA.

12. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,079
    I used to have a floating floor in my room. A real bamboo floor with the foam type underlay, concrete foundation.

I made a sub isolator myself to see/hear if it would make an audible difference. I have to say, yes it did make a difference. It seemed to 'tighten' the bass up somewhat.

I've since had some construction done in the room which meant a complete floor change, no floating floor anymore. Both subs are sat straight onto the hard floor and sounds better than ever.

13. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    If there are concerns with box movement, you should build a second identical sub and then bolt them back-to-back to create a dual opposed sub, which will cancel out any box movement, and two of said sub cones will need to move less than one to create the same output ;)

At least that's what you can tell the other half when your subwooferage doubles overnight :p lol

(In all seriousness, I swapped from a downfiring sub to a PPSL (effectively dual opposed) setup and it has removed a lot of the floor wobble I used to get with the DF sub! I quite miss it :( lol, but I'm not sure the neighbours are unhappy about the change... :laugh:)

14. fuzzybk

fuzzybk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I use a Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizer under my M&K sub. Does a a great job.