1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer placement?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dan110, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my two front speakers on stands around 2 feet away from my TV on either side. Is it ok to place my subwoofer in between one of the speakers and the TV? I have heard that subwoofers are not magnetically shielded and can have stray magnetic fields which can interfere with my TV? Is this correct? FYI, the sub is B&W ASW600.

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Some are shielded and some aren't. It's easy enough to see if yours is shielded just by placing it near the TV and watching to see if there's any colour staining.

3. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful I had an unsheilded speaker next to my Sony TV a couple of years ago and it pulled the picture all over the place. In fact ruined the set.

4. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you're testing this find something white to put on your telly that will show up any colour staining very very quickly. Make sure telly is properly on and showing the correct image before you power up the sub, if there is any colour staining (move it in closer very slowly) then you want to get it out of the way sharpish.

5. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,203
    With regard to general placement of your sub. Some say, that in between the two front speakers is a very good place to start.
    Here, it is kept inside the general speaker array.

Mine however, is in a different area altogether, and sounds great.
    The real test of course is your ears, and try different positions around the room , if you have the space. Furniture, tables etc may also dictate where it is placed. I'm sure you'll find a spot you are happy with !!

Good luck.

Kev

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The B&W ASW675 was definitely not shielded so I'll take a stab and say the 600 is the same, leave at least a 2 foot gap like I had to.

7. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it matter if a sub is placed in a corner, listening to films that is.

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    My REL Storm III that I had was quite a bit better set about 3" from both walls, in a corner. Some would argue that a sub placed in a corner tends to make the sub boomier, and with some designs they have a point. Certainly, the Paradigm PS1000 that I had didn't want to be anywhere near a corner and neither did the Q100. I would also expect room shape and construction to have a great deal of influence in how a sub sounds. I must admit to spending more than a few hours trying the Storm all over the room, even on it's side! Like Kev says: you need to experiment.

All of my subs needed to be a couple of foot away from the TV. At the moment I can't think of a single sub that is magnetically shielded.

Russell

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HGS series are magnetically shielded, I'd of thought all THX certified subs would be too but that's only a guess based on the fact that THX speakers are shielded.

10. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Velodyne CHT 10 sheilded and what do you think about placing that near a corner. Yet again only to use for films.

11. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    i put my sub under my front left speaker.

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual or www.velodyne.com can tell you if the CHT 10 is shielded, my guess would be no. If you have the option of the corner or more centrally I'd choose the more central option as the chances of room interference are reduced, but you should really try every position possible if you can as it's well worth the effort if you can find the sweetspot.