1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer placement question?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by guyb, Jan 10, 2005.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I guess the best placement of a subwoofer is in a corner near the front of the room near the screen - however I may need to place mine in a corner near the back of the room near the sofa. Would this be OK and would it effect performace?

Thanks

Guy

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    Hello :hiya:
    The consensus of opinion,is to place the sub in the seating position ,and then crawl around on your hands and knees listening for where it sounds best :smashin:.Just don't let anyone see you do it :D
    atb
    JS

3. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi johnscarlet

Yeah, I have read that elsewhere in the forums, the only problem is that I am restricted as to where I am allowed to place the sub!

guyb

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    In which case try it and see , then ....
    put on the trousers ,and tell her where you want it ;) :D

5. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    LOL :laugh:

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    The truth always comes out :rotfl:

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you're limited in where you can put it, you'll just have to put it there! Each room is different and each subwoofer will integrate differently within each room and with each set of speakers/amp and so on. There's no way to give an outright answer to this one.

Consider that each boundary you place your sub next to will provide some gain at certain frequencies, you're always stuck with the floor, then perhaps one or 2 walls as well. Try it in the corner and spend some time setting it up. If you find that it booms a lot or just at certain frequencies then it would be worth trying it up against a single wall if possible, then spend time setting it up. If this doesn't work, put it back in the corner (you might as well have it out of the way ;) ) and consider treating the room with a bass trap or maybe equalising with a BFD or similar. :)

8. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done quite a bit of reading lately regarding sub positioning as I think think this will be the hardest to get right in my set-up.
    I am considering 2 locations; Front corner and rear centre.
    Rear centre is a position that is not often mentioned, but I found this excert on Audioholics.

"There really are two potential locations, near center and near the rear wall (within 1/8 of a wavelength of highest frequency the subwoofer is set to produce*), or in a corner and within 1/8 of a wavelength of that corner. We recommend that you try both of these locations. If you can not distinctly detect the subwoofer when it is in the corner, then this is a good place for it. Otherwise, move it to the center." Link

Bear in mind that although placing a sub in the corner will give strong bass, it can also give lumpy bass as some frequencies are boosted by the resonances more than others.

In my forthcoming setup, I'm going to try placing the sub on the rear wall near the centre. As the sub is front firing, the sound will fire straight into the back off the sofa which will be approx 1.1m away. I'm hoping this will give a very clean sound and bass that I can actually feel :D

If your sub is strong enough, then I don't think there is any need to rely on corner placement to boost the output.

Please share your thoughts.

Cheers, Beastie.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Talk is cheap but there is no substitute for practical experimentation so try the sub in both possible locations and see for yourself what sounds best in your own room.

Let us know the results though

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    unless you give in to swmbo , in which case , keep quiet :D

11. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    My set up looks similar to what you have. In the pic below, I had the sub in position 1 and moved it to position 2 and it sounds a whole lot better in position 2

[​IMG]

12. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cool - your room is exaclty the same as mine. I will be receiving my new sub soon so I will give it a go and see how is sounds.

guyb

13. Pezza

Pezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a new PB10-ISD and have a pretty similar layout and so will be placing it in position 2.

My question is, should I fire the sub into the back wall, or fire it towards the AV rack? I'm probably going to get a BFD some point soon, so if I do will it matter anyway?

14. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    As previously mentioned, take some caution with placements of subs even if the rooms look identical on paper. It could be useful for a starting position but unless the rooms are identical in size, construction and interior materials there will be differences.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Even with a BFD, firing a large sub with a large front port like that at the wall is asking for trouble.

Along the wall or away from the wall would be a much better idea. Probably best to try away from the wall to start with. :

16. HTnewb

HTnewb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is some food for thought. I came across this post in another forum and found that it may help you decide where you want to place that sub:
    ______

Standing waves are created and are a direct result from room dimensions
    Mode overlap *is a result of the ratio of the room dimensions *
    and the impact of room modes will be determined by how dense the wall are *You have three types of wave modes
    Axial, Tangential and Oblique *Axial are the most important and occur *between two opposite walls Tangential occur between two pairs of walls Oblique *occur between all room surfaces
    When the frequency increases the room modes smooth out and become more evenly distributed *135Hz is generally
    the frequency where the FS becomes diffusive. Room Modes
    can't be eliminated so you have to work around them to try and minimize standing waves *There are a few ways to do this
    #1 Move Listening position #2 Move Subwoofer Location
    #3 Use Absorption #4 Active EQ
    Subwoofer placement is the easiest solution *as a general rule placing the subwoofer 1/3 in or along a wall will give you the smoothest response these are generally the Low relative Pressure locations in a rectangular room another consideration is to find out where the subwoofer drives the positive and the negative areas of the wave between your listening position and the subwoofer place the subwoofer in-between the positive (hump) location of the wave and the negative (dip) location and this will reduce resonance *Or get two subwoofers and place one at the positive location of the wave and one at the negative location and drive the positive and negative locations of the wave equally. Moving your seated listening position is another way to minimize the modes placing the seated location between the positive location of the wave and the negative location of the wave will reduce resonace.Absortion is another way to reduce standing waves however you would need very thick absorptive material *absorption at 90Hz would take approximately 4 feet thick absorptive material. Active Equalization is *another way to reduce standing waves but formulas and room calculations are complex *and you may end up minimizing standing waves at the expense of creating other problems in the room This should not be done unless you are qualified to do so
    Hope this helps
    _____

Edit: Here's a link I found that you might find helpful.

Sub Placement