Subwoofer Placement and replacement - less than ideal room

MarcDavison

Standard Member
Hi,

I am after some thoughts on the best Subwoofer placement in my Living / Home Theater setup. As you'll see the room is less than ideal with it being a Lounge Diner so open to one side and with a large Patio door to the other side.

My Current system is:

MA Radius 270 Fronts
MA Radius 200 Center
MA Radius 90 Rears
Tannoy TFX and Tannoy SFX Sub Woofers.
Denon AVR-S540BT Amp

Connected to Samsung QLED TV and Optoma UHD35 Projector fed from Pioneer UB320 / ROKU Premiere 4k.

For a budget setup I'm overall quite happy but not 100% certain that Subwoofer placement is ideal, originally both subs were positioned "out of the way" behind the sofa but I've not relocated one to the front to see what affect that has on the sound but interested to know whether it should be on the left as it is now or it would be better to the right hand side of the AV cabinet (and the rear swapped accordingly). Also interested in any other suggestions for improving the setup. The MA Radius Speakers need to stay as they are the only Floor standers that have received spousal approval! I've also just swapped the rears to the 90's as I previously had Radius 45's which I was always very disappointed with. Front and Rear speaker positioning is also somewhat limited, the fronts due to the projector screen and the rears due to the walls / lack of walls.

At some point I think one or both of the SUB's are going to fail, it seems to be a common thing with the Tannoy SFX/TFX and the SFX has always made an occasional flutter and I discovered this week that the TFX had apparently not been working but seems to have possibly been a dirty volume POT rather than failing caps as is usual so looking for thoughts on "budget" replacements and whether it could just be going to a single or whether 2 subs would be better with the room size/shape?

Thanks for any comments.
Marc

room layout.jpg
PXL_20220502_081135614.jpg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The av-receiver you have is quite anemic and bit too cheap for the system. It doesn´t have any modern mic setup or room correction software either looking the Denon site. Literally cheapest available, went for 149£ lowest. As a minium you need to buy SPL meter with c-weighted and slow response so you can set the levels for speakers and subwoofers. Also it sees the two subs as one so you can´t set the distance (delay) individually for each sub so not ideal if you were to place them diagonally opposite front/rear cause one sub is over 4m away and another is behind listener.

The subwoofers are not the level of the speakers either and if you are tight on budget you should really buy one good first. Which of those seats you typically sit or do you lay either side? How much you could spend for new subwoofer?

Last edited:

MarcDavison

Standard Member
The av-receiver you have is quite anemic and bit too cheap for the system. It doesn´t have any modern mic setup or room correction software either looking the Denon site. Literally cheapest available, went for 149£ lowest. As a minium you need to buy SPL meter with c-weighted and slow response so you can set the levels for speakers and subwoofers. Also it sees the two subs as one so you can´t set the distance (delay) individually for each sub so not ideal if you were to place them diagonally opposite front/rear cause one sub is over 4m away and another is behind listener.

The subwoofers are not the level of the speakers either and if you are tight on budget you should really buy one good first. Which of those seats you typically sit or do you lay either side? How much you could spend for new subwoofer?
Hi,

Yes totally agree that the Amp and the Subs are weak links. I'd originally planned on upgrading the Amp last year but then supplies dried up and prices have crept up/lack of deals compared to a few years back so it's been on hold. With the room limitations I think it's unlikely that I'll go beyond 5.2 so probably dont need anything fancy, would be looking at a Denon S660 or X1700 at some point.

Subwoofer wise I've been looking at maybe BK Gemini 2 or XLS 200 (not clear which would be better the FF or DF), so alternatives around those price points would be a consideration.

The calibration on the 540 isnt great so I have recently been tweaking after running using a SPL meter phone app which has definitely improved things. For the time being would it be better to moving the Sub back so both are behind the sofa, or trying to get away with bringing the other to the front of the room, or leaving one front and one rear?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
There is rumours that Denon introduces new models this year, but no one knows when and what they will have new. You should wait until they come available if the current ones goes on sale, then you could get X2700H which i would feel would be minium to look for unless the X1700H remains noticeably cheaper. Forget the S models. X3700H would be ideal with dual subwoofers, however it costs 1k£ now and probably doesn`t drop enough.

Not sure do you have SPL app which have selectable c-weighted (not A) and slow/fast response as that is what you need. How accurate it is then is another story. You could try both subs either behind the couch push them apart as much as you can or at the front wall between the front mains. Listen which sounds better.

That room (+40sqm) call for something larger than XLS200 / Gemini II if you truly want more noticeable upgrade. I have tried Gem II in similar sized room, not for movie buffs. Most folks would probably consider BK Monolith Plus (~550£) / SVS PB1000 (450£) / Monoprice Monolith 10 THX (~420£ with discount). However if these are too large then the nearly "legendary" forum favourite BK XLS400 (415£ shipped) could be option. There is actually new black DF and new walnut FF grade-b XXLS400 in mint condition available at BK`s 2nd ebay site plus two Monoliths. DF vs. FF which ever looks / fits better as they have different cab dimensions, same performance.

Check these links below and tell us which you think would be possible or do you still require something smaller? The ported options below would give you bit more physical sensation when cranked louder. If you crave stronger low end then it is the way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom