Subwoofer Phase

W

WBC

Guys

I have a Yamaha Subwoofer and on the back you have the option of 'Rev' & 'Normal' phase??

Is this a standard thing and if so what do you use, cause I'm not sure which one is right? (The user manual is CRAP!!!)

Is there anything wrong with laying a subwoofer on its side??

Thanks
Stace :D

I think you will find that most people use what they think sounds best. Personally, I have a Rel Q200e and my phase is clicked onto number 1 (0 degrees IIRC) the other setting would be 180 degrees. It's not a case of right or wrong, just whats preferable.

Can't see a problem lying a subwoofer on it's side to be honest, the only thing i would be careful of is if it has no solid place to stand, it might move about :D thats what the feet/spikes are for ;)

Steve

Can you really hear a big difference? I switched between the two alot when playing different discs tonite to see if there were major differences and can't say I heard much in it (if anything!?!?)

So how does it work? Is my reverse '0' and normal '180'???? I just don't get it??? Life would be so much easier if all the manufacturers didn't make their own 5hit up!

Stace :D

I must admit to only having 2.1 at the moment, but set my sub up the other night, with a bit of help, to get it blending in with my front two speakers.

When I had got the crossover and volume set up right, to my ear at least, i then clicked the phase back and forth and decided that 0 degrees sounded slightly 'tighter'.

Only slightly mind. ;)

How it works? I really don't know :confused: :D

It's not a case of right or wrong, just whats preferable.
IMHO there is a right and wrong, the phase should allow you to synchronize the sub with the front speakers, depending on where it's placed in the room. That said with only a 0 and 180 degree setting you are somewhat limited (some subs have a 0 to 180 degree dial). 0 degree is to be choosen if the sub sits between the fronts.

Can you really hear a big difference? I switched between the two alot when playing different discs tonite to see if there were major differences and can't say I heard much in it (if anything!?!?)
Do play some bass heavy music and duplicate the bass to subs and fronts, then toggle the switch and see in which position the two (front and bass) are nearly synchronized.
As said above with 0 and 180 degree you might be somewhat limited and not find the exact point.

So how does it work? Is my reverse '0' and normal '180'????
Possible (depending on the internal wiring). However it also depends on the position of the sub, so there is no general advise, i.e. you cannot just compare your settings to others, instead you need to try it out yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom