Subwoofer output on Pioneer VSX-AX3

T

torimusic

I have connected my subwoofer to the VSX-AX3 using the front main speaker level outputs of the VSX-AX3 into the subwoofer speaker level inputs. How do I set up the receiver to send all LFE information to the front main speaker outputs as opposed to the dedicated subwoofer RCA output jack? The manual is unclear on this. In the speaker setup, I've got the subwoofer set to 'none'. Does this automatically route LFE information to the left and right front main outputs ?

i'm sure you've become confused somewhere.
The sub plugs into the sub pre out
if you want the bass to go through the fronts you tell it you've got no sub. I understand you realise this.
but
Why are you trying to put a full range stereo signal through a sub???

Originally posted by bobbypunk
i'm sure you've become confused somewhere.
The sub plugs into the sub pre out
if you want the bass to go through the fronts you tell it you've got no sub. I understand you realise this.
but
Why are you trying to put a full range stereo signal through a sub???

Under 'expert settings' I had to raise the 'bass peak level' setting on page 92 of the manual after doing an automatic setup with the microphone.

The automatic setup obviously does not detect a subwoofer in the system if it's not connected to the subwoofer pre-out and so it therefore does not set the volume level for the sub.

I choose not to use the subwoofer pre-out of the receiver for a number of reasons.

* Most sub pre-outs on receivers have an inferior filtering device. You can read up more on this at the www.polkaudio.com website.
* Connecting the sub to the same point as your front main speakers makes it a natural extension of the front main speaker system as opposed to being a divorced entity when using the subwoofer pre-out output or the front main pre-outs of the receiver.

Many people would possibly disagree with me using this method but I found that I get better control of the sub using this method and I can always be assured that whatever bass/LFE is getting to my front mains; will always go to the subwoofer as well.

Unfortunately most (all ?) receiver manuals don't discuss this method of connection because they assume you will always connect a subwoofer to the pre-out jack I guess.

That's a very informative site. So much so that I decided to connect my subwoofer as suggested on that site.
I must admit that I haven't noticed a major difference when playing DVD's but when playing music in stereo, the bass is very much present whereas before, there was virtually none. The only bass I could rely on previously was just what came out of my front speakers.
BTW, I have a Pioneer also but the more 'inferior' 912 :)

EDIT:
Originally posted by torimusic
Unfortunately most (all ?) receiver manuals don't discuss this method of connection because they assume you will always connect a subwoofer to the pre-out jack I guess.
You're spot on there. Having re-read my amp manual, it deoesn't mention this type of connection at all. It's strange because it does have this as a connection option in my subwoofer's manual.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but
Doesn't Dolby digital, DTS, DVD-A and SACD have a specific channel dedicated to the sub.
What happens to this information?
If it is passed through the fronts instead then your method stands up as a good solution. To make it work I suppose you tell the amp that you are not using a sub and therefore the bass should be diverted to the fronts. You shouldn't need to do anything else.
Alot of Yamaha receivers gave you the option of Main, Sub or both shame it isn't that easy.
If you use a Rel subwoofer they reccomend using the high and low level connections at the same time, tried it the other day and it adds alot more to it. I don't think this is possible on most other amps though.

Originally posted by bobbypunk
Doesn't Dolby digital, DTS, DVD-A and SACD have a specific channel dedicated to the sub

Possibly. But having connected the high level inputs/outputs on my sub, there is definitely no loss of bass when any of the above formats are played. I found previously that the sub was very weak when playing SACD but has now very much come alive. Don't know about connecting a sub cable aswell. It is possible I suppose because the connection is still available. I'll maybe try that tomorrow and see how my sub sounds with both RCA low level input and the high level inputs connected at the same time. It doesn't say anywhere in my sub manual that I can't do it although judging by the diagram shown, there's really no need to connect a sub cable aswell.

EDIT

Yes, you do have to tell your amp that there is no sub. My mate has a Yammy 640 and his only options are main, sub or both.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom