Subwoofer output not working!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by oitzjake, Sep 14, 2018.

1. oitzjake

oitzjake
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I recently purchased a used Pioneer VSX-922K AV receiver and have had multiple issues with it, from the right channel being quiet (tapping the back panel usually sorts it) to it randomly turning off and requiring unplugging to get it back on.

The only issue I have been unable to find a fix to is that neither of the subwoofer outputs work correctly. I am using an external car amp which has a built in dB volume level indicator, and this was pulsing with the music using my previous receiver, but with this one it remains with a constant signal. This signal remains even when the reciever is on standby, but the subwoofer plays nothing as if it were either high in pitch or some form of incorrect signal. Either way the signal never changes whether playing music or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have sold my previous receiver and do not want to give up this one!

The subwoofer did seem to react to the auto-setup with the mic, but it seemed to output audio on every channel test. This is the only time it has ever made a noise with the amp.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,131
    2 channel audio doesn't include an LFE channel that would ordinarilly be present with multichannel film soundtracks so the sub will not be active while dealing with 2 channel sources unless you designate your speakers as being SMALL and assign them crossover points at which to redirect frequencies away from the speakers to the sub.

3. oitzjake

oitzjake
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the response, this is the case with HDMI audio too. Using an Xbox One and the output is set to 5.1 audio in the settings, this did work correctly with a previous receiver.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,131
    It would be the same if accessing 2 channel sources via HDMI, but if using an upmixinh mode then that mode should create an LFE channel for use by the sub.

5. oitzjake

oitzjake
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not just 2 channel, it is within movies and games. The rear and centre speakers are working, but the subwoofer remains silent. The level indicator on the amplifier remains at the constant level.