Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Subwoofer or floor standing speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by smike.jones, Nov 28, 2004.

1. smike.jones

smike.jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If anyone has any advice on the problem below I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm currently using Quad 11L speakers with a Musical Fidelity XA1 amplifier and a Sony XA20ES CD player, and I find the sound too bass light for my taste. I'm considering adding a sub such as a MS309 but I'm worried the sound of the sub and the speakers won't match each other. Would I be better off selling the 11L's and buying some more bass capable larger speakers, or would adding a sub solve the problem without losing the 'hi-fi' sound?

The system is used mainly for music and not for home cinema.

Cheers

2. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I recently upgraded my PMC DB1s which are a similar size to your Quads, to a front pair of PMC FB1 floorstanders. These have a much greater bass extention, but even so I cant for the life of me think why anyone would want to use any standmounter without a sub. I use these floorstanders with a Rel q400e sub and the cumilative sound is awesome, far more intimate than using the stereo pair alone. I would go so far as to suggest that if you dont use a sub you will be missing out on a great deal of enjoyment from the extra frequency range that a sub brings.

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Smike,

If you are really only useing you're system for Music then Floorstanders are a good option, When the 11L's 1st came out i had a pair in an Hi Fi only setup and felt i needed more bass just like you so i bought a Rel Quake and added that bit more Depth to the Music and Bass, In the End though i ended up selling my 11L's and sub and bought the 22L's which gave me alot more bass and was very happy, I suppose it is all down to preference and what or should i say how much Bass you like!!!
    If i was you i would get some Dems of the 11L's with a sub like the New Rel stampede which is very easy to intergrate into a music setup & also get some dems with just Floorstanding speakers and see what you prefer!!!

John

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    You shouldn't have a problem adding a sub to your system as tonal matching isn't really a problem at those low frequencies.

Most of the discussion here is about adding subwoofers to AV systems and this is done using a low connection to the subwoofer output on the AV amp.

As your amp is stereo only you will need to connect at high level (speaker level) and many subs don't offer this facility so you will need to be careful which sub you buy. REL and MJ Acoustics are particularly flexible in connection terms so both should be high on your list to have a closer look at.

You won't lose your "hifi sound" as the sub will take over where the Quad's begin to lose their oomph

5. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Subs are good for sub frequencies. They tend to produce a strong yet muddy bass effect. If you're mainly a music type then I'd strongly suggest buying floorstanders. I used standmount speakers with a sub for a quite a while till I discovered that the sound was actually clearer without the sub, and preferable despite the loss of some sub punch.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I think you've been listening to the wrong subs or else they haven't be set up correctly. Mine produces very sharply defined notes.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    mine does too :)

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Mine does three :D

I would say keep the Quad 11L's, they are great speakers and add a sub, the BK XLS200 would be a perfect match, it's quick, punchy and will integrate well with the 11L's, I'm not sure if it has high level speaker connections though.

Another option, although more expensive, is to go for the Quad L subwoofer, which would be a sonic and aesthetic match, I've heard both the BK and the Quad and both are fantastic. I wasn't impressed with the REL subs I heard at the recent what hi fi show, and one of them included the stampede, I think the Quad L subwoofer will give you a better performance per pound solution.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes running a Sub in a Hi Fi only setup is not always the best answer and the only way to know is try both!!
    I prefer the sound just with my Floorstanders gives me enough bass for music :)

John

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The BK XLS200 does have a high-level input via a locking Neutrik connector, along with seperate gain controls for high and low level imputs.

Definitely a very musical option that's easy to integrate, is very small and shouldn't break the bank. :)

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Another approach, one that I would look at rather than the sub option would be to add a power amp to the system especially for music only use. By doing this you are effectively doubling the power to your speakers. In reality this means the bass is tighter, better controlled and packs more punch but without the excessive weight often produced by subs.
    Just another way of attacking the same problem.