Subwoofer not working in direct stereo while bi-amping

Ronen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have AVR250 connected to KEF XQ5 (2 front speakers) and a Sub. Once I bi-amped the front speakers, I could not longer get any signal to the subwofer in Direct Stereo mode. The sub will play only if I trun off 'direct stereo' . - Is that they it works or did I missed something in the setup? I have the speakers setup as Large+Sub.
Thanks.

If you are connecting your sub using the subwoofer output on the back of the receiver you will not get the sub in direct stereo mode.

The "direct stereo" mode is just that. The analog signal from your source does not go through any processing and the receiver will just amplifythe the full range signal and send it to your speakers.

The purpose of direct stereo is to bypass the processing.

If you want to use the sub for analog signals and listen in stereo you must change to the 2-CH stereo mode on the receiver, not direct stereo mode. In 2-CH stereo the signal will go through the processor and send the information below your crossover selected to the subwoofer and the full range signal to your speakers in large+sub mode.

The only exception to this is if you are using a 5.1 analog inputs for DVD-A or SACD. Then the .1 signal from your player will be sent to the subwoofer in direct stereo mode.

Not sure what sub you have but the REL subs (and others) have both High and Low level inputs. The Low input comes from the sub pre-out (and will therefore be disabled when you switch to Stereo Direct mode). The High input is via a Neutrik Speakon connection and is wired across your L & R speaker terminals so would still operate even in Stereo Direct mode as its fed direct from the speaker terminals and not the pre-out. This works with my bi-amped AV8/P7 in Stereo Direct and should work with your AVR250.

Hope this helps and maybe you can get the Neutrik Speakon cable if your sub can take one.

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom