1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer noise - broken amp?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cidre, Feb 10, 2003.

1. cidre

cidre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I just bought used Velodyne SPL-1200 sub (two years old). It is producing strange noises, which are not very loud but clearly audible at the listening position. There is a hum, which sometimes turns into a sort of low whine and can also include muted rattling sounds. The noises can be heard only for 15 to 60 minutes after the sub has been switched on, after which they go away. You still can hear a silent hum if you listen right next to the sub, but this, I'm told, is normal with this model.

The noises occur even if the sub isn't connected to a receiver, and if you turn it off just for a second and then on again, the noise is back for maybe ten or 15 minutes. I've tried unplugging all other appliances in the room and different power sockets - no difference.

Everything is fine if I just keep the sub on at all times, but my concern is if this is a symptom of a defected sub amplifier, which could become worse over time.

So, does anyone have an idea of what might be causing these noises? Or should I just take the sub back (which is still possible) and forget about it?

That'd be a shame, as apart from this problem the sub seems to perform very nicely indeed and blends perfectly into my system...

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to a certain degree all subs will hum... although to be fair you'd have to have your ear touching my sub to hear the hum.
    some hum more than others while for some the hum (jesus I sound like Dr Seuss:rolleyes: ) is made worse by an earth loop.
    it all depends what you feel is exceptable during use and how much (if any) you can cure the problem. Do a search for earth loop or hum, as it has been covered fairly recently.
    if it's unacceptable and interferes with your listening experience take it back.

3. cidre

cidre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading the forums etc, but I haven't seen anyone describing a similar problem with a hum or noise that goes away after a while.

This is what made me suspect that the sub amp might be flawed and ask you people with more experience on these things, how big a risk do you think keeping this sub would be?

Is it likely that the amp is going to die within a few months, or is it more probably picking up some weird interference, and there is no need to worry?

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sounds you describe don't sound normal IMO. Ask Uncle Eric he is the Velodyne expert round these here parts.