1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer Monitor Audio FB210

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by glimball, Nov 19, 2004.

1. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in the Middle East where there is a limited choice of good audio / visual equpment. I have just ordered MA speakers (GR20 / GR centre / SFX / FB210) after auditioning them. Since then I have read that this is not a good sub for use in smaller rooms. I am setting up my system in a room 7m x 6m - does anyone have experience of using this sub and hae recommendations as to placement, cables, etc? in the audition it appeared to work seamlessly with the other speakers.

Joined AV forums recently and am getting square eyes from reading so many excellent threads!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    By UK standards your room certainly isn't small. Is there any chance of the dealer lending you one for a couple of days so that you can try it out at home.

PS I will transfer this to the subwoofer forum

3. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks IanJ (talk about a quick response to a posting!) and apologies from a newbie for not posting in the right forum. Unfortunately I am about 600 miles by air from the dealer! If it's too heavy-sounding for the room is there anything I can do to moderate the effect without reducing the audio quality? Would extra curtaining or other soft fabric on the walls change the subwoofer sound - or does the low frequency of the sound waves emitted mean that the reflection effects are different from higher frequencies from main speakers. I guess I'm asking - in a rambling way - does the sonic transparency of soft materials vary with the frequency of sound waves impacting it?

Sorry - though I was going to ask a simple question then it just grew ......

4. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please feel free to ignore my last reply - I haven't searched the forum yet to see if an answer can be found there. Another newbie mistake: sorry - how many are tolerated before I start to get curt responses telling me of lack of forum courtesy!

I WILL try harder.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am not sure why people have suggested that it isn't suitable for small rooms but it won't have anything to do with the power output. There are quite a few people using powerful subwoofers of all types in bedrooms and garage conversions quite happily. Even more use them in living rooms that are smaller than your room dimensions (mine included)

The only thing that I can think of is that rear ported subwoofers may be happier with more clear room behind them.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't worry about it as we're a friendly bunch here :)