Subwoofer Levels (Important technical consideration)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stewart C, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read HCC's Stuart M Robinsons excellent feature on subwoofer settings and calibration, I was surprised to read that a subwoofer should be set at 6db lower LFE than the reference level of 75db's which all other speakers should be set to. This relates to an 80Hz crossover and there are incremental figures either side of the 80Hz crossover specification.

My interpretation is therefore, if you have set your subwoofer to reference i.e.75db using Video essentials or some other speaker calibration package, then you are getting too much LFE during playback, which is esentially not accurate. (It sounds impressive ofcourse but I want accuracy).

Is this interpretation correct?

Regards

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Hi

Personal preference also comes into it as well. I´ve calibrated my system via AVIA to 75db but found the bass to be lacking so i´ve upped it to around 79db which, to me, sounds a lot better.

I had tried 6db below the reference level as well, as per Stuart M Robinsons website, but there was nowhere near enough bass, again to my ears.

So, trust your ears and set it to a level you find acceptable.

cheers