Subwoofer issue??

kwack1969

Novice Member
Reaction score
A quick question that may be nothing.

During playback of a DVD that was not DTS, the subwoofer occassionally send out a bass type boom.

The DVD is a Isle of Man motorbike review which I guess not contain much bassiness.

Any ideas, it hasn't happened watching any files.??

:confused:

When you say 'files' you mean 'films?'.

If this only happens on this particular bike review DVD, I would say it was an issue not to even delve deeper into. If ALL other DVD's sound good and work just fine then scrap this issue from your brain.

It could just be a bad disc for some reason that isn't worth worrying about....

Originally posted by kwack
During playback of a DVD that was not DTS, the subwoofer occassionally send out a bass type boom.

What kind of amp and subwwofer. What did you have the crossovers set to on the amp and sub

Thanks all for the posts. Brad seems the best bet. I checked teh Disc and it doesn't even have any Dolby signs on the back.

Amp is Yam RXV530rds and sub is the Mission FS1 set.

Like I said it seems OK for others so if any of you guys think otherwise any advise is much appreciated.

New to all this stuff

Kwack

Just an update on this.

The boom bass also occurred on AI dvd that was rented.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

It largely occurs when there is little sound going on in the film and some speech.

Any ideas

Kwack

I thought that my sub was setup well until Uncle Eric came visiting and played "The Majestic" which was a film with Martin Landau in it. He has a very deep voice and it was producing boom where no other voices had.

A slight adjustment of the crossover got rid of it and it appears to have been caused by having the sub crossover set to 80Hz and the amp crossover set to the same figure.

I have forgotten the technical explanation that Eric gave me but a slight adjustment to the sub crossover got rid of it.

How woudl you adjust the crossover. The Mission FS1av sub has an internal crossover.

Does this mean that I can't adjust this?

Shoudl I contact Mission and explain the problem as well?

Any ideas or am I worrying about nothing

Kwack

Originally posted by Ian J

I have forgotten the technical explanation that Eric gave me but a slight adjustment to the sub crossover got rid of it.

Hi Ian

Did you adjust the sub to just above or just below 80HZ? Does this mean that if you adj. it to 79HZ that a frequency of 79.5HZ is being missed out? Am I just being too picky or have I not understood it right?

Originally posted by Nobber22
Did you adjust the sub to just above or just below 80HZ? Does this mean that if you adj. it to 79HZ that a frequency of 79.5HZ is being missed out? Am I just being too picky or have I not understood it right?

I just sat and watched the film whilst Eric fiddled with it. he's not around at the moment but I'll ask him later.

The Martin Landau bits in Majestic are a good sub test

Originally posted by Nobber22

I always thought that if the amp crossover was set to 80hz then anything around that and below was sent to the sub so you might as well set the sub to the max crossover as, for example, 95hz wouldn't be sent to it anyway.

This method would seem to be the best way to ensure a full and smooth hand-over as I doubt many amps or subs can be set to totally exact crossover points.

I have a low end sony amp and I am unable to adjust the amps crossover but can adjust it on my sub is it best to find out the amps crossover point if I do what would I set my sub to. On that note does anyone know the crossover point when all speakers are set to small on a sony str 475. I use Mission Cinema 6 speakers

Kwack, could you tell me what you think of the FS1's as I am planning on buying them within the week, once I have read a magazine review ...... (if I can find a review !!).
I imagine they look gorgeous but I am interested to hear how the sound compares to the older FS2's ....

Originally posted by Philip Newton
I have a low end sony amp and I am unable to adjust the amps crossover but can adjust it on my sub is it best to find out the amps crossover point if I do what would I set my sub to. On that note does anyone know the crossover point when all speakers are set to small on a sony str 475. I use Mission Cinema 6 speakers

The amp crossover is probably somewhere between 100Hz and 120Hz. If you set the sub's crossover to anything lower you will lose some frequencies which will be filtered out by the sub.

Best to set the sub's crossover as high as possible and let the amp handle the bass management.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom