1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer isolation and positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Thunder, May 21, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My SVS PB2 plus should be ariving soon and I'm a little worried about controlling the beast as my HT room is upstairs and is suseptable to vibrations. When I originaly fitted the room out I decided I wanted to try and reinforce the floor as well as try and sound proof it to a certain extent. The original floor is made up of what looked like some type of chipboard paneling so on top of this I laid acoustic/thermal insulation tiles and on top of this I screwed down boards of gyproc soundbloc boarding. On top of this I laid black carpet. I then covered concrete slabs with offcuts from the same carpet and positioned my speakers on top of these. As a whole it seams to work really well short of having the floor concreted. But I am affraid the PB2 plus will be harder to control than my little REL StrataIII, so I have already constructed a super heavy duty isolation platform for the PB2 plus. This consists of a base layer of 18mm MDF, glued on top of this is a foam acoustic isolation tile and on top of that two concrete slabs. This is all wrapped up in the same carpet as my AV room floor and looks really neat despite its size. Does anyone else have any suggestions with regard to isolation and positioning to get the best most accurate performance out of a big sub? :confused:

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I wonder how compressed the foam tile is going to be with concrete slabs and the SVS on it? That seems to be quite a bit of weight and if it squashes too much the isolation will be reduced. Maybe have some more tiles on hand to add and see how they change the effectiveness of the platform.

My SVS Pci is in a ground floor room, concrete slab floor and solid block walls.
    You can feel the dividing wall between rooms vibrate.
    I wish you luck.