Question Subwoofer in TV Cabinet

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Building a mancave and will be using Ikea Besta units for storage and Home Theatre rack.

Thinking of where the subwoofer would go and one neat option would be to put it into one of the Besta compartments.

Whilst this would neat I'm not sure from a technical viewpoint.

1 - I assume I couldn't go really neat and have it in a compartment with a door on the front.

2 - Would being in a compartment restrict or distort the sound - especially if down or rear firing.

3 - Would it create rattles in the rack and its contents - especially if down or rear firing.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 - I assume I couldn't go really neat and have it in a compartment with a door on the front.
2 - Would being in a compartment restrict or distort the sound - especially if down or rear firing.
3 - Would it create rattles in the rack and its contents - especially if down or rear firing.

Hi, pretty much yes to all..

1, you can, there's nothing stopping you if looks are you primary concern.
2, It will restrict or affect the frequency response you hear at your listening position.
3, That would depend on how well built it is and the actual power of the subwoofer. In my opinion, a FF would probably cause the cabinet to rattle less than a DF would though if you really had no other option..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom