1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer in cabinet?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by amrad, Aug 10, 2005.

1. amrad

amrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Is it okay to keep a subwoofer in a cupboard? Anything I need to consider if doing this?

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Are you going to have a acoustically translucant mesh over the front instead of a door. If yes, then it should be OK for a sealed forward firing sub, or with a front ported sub, but possibly not for down firing or rear ported.
    I wouldn't reccommend it at all if you are wanting to close it in behind a door.

3. amrad

amrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sub is a Bose module - does it have to be kept on the ground as well? What about placing it sideways in a cabinet cutting a hole at the end of the cabinet where the front of the sub is?

4. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you are putting the sub inside another structure, you can certainly expect it to change the nature of its sound. And I'd be amazed if it was for the better.

Even if you cut a hole in the door, you still have to think about the cupboard resonating.

IMO, it will have a detrimental impact on the performance of the sub. Might look nice though :)

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Oh you mean your midwoofer!
    Sorry, couldn't resist.:devil: ;)

Seriously though. I definately wouldn't if the module is part of an Acoustimass setup. Enclosing it as you suggest will have detrimental effect on the quality of sound, not to mention the possible vibration passed on, which is a bigger issue with Bose bodules than most stand-alone subs because of the high cross-over point which these setups have.

6. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I was about to suggest remembering to open the cupboard doors when using it in case the power of the bass blows them open!

However i then saw the word Bose and realised it won't be an issue......... :rotfl:

Seriously, though - is there really nowhere else you can put it? hiding an item like this which is designed to move air as part of it's operation is a bad idea and will ruin the sound.

(further :D )