Question Subwoofer hum

Luke1

Novice Member
I have just set up my AV equipment and I am getting a hum from the sub. I have connected a wire to a chassis screw on the sub and when the other end is on the rca jack it seems to stop the hum. I am just wondering if anyone could tell me whether it is safe to leave this like this? I have attached a picture so you can see what I mean

Attachments

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As with all of these things there is a degree of 'leave well alone' when it comes to giving out advice which involves messing about with power and earthing!

Adding a system earth is definitely more acceptable than removing an earth.

If you have sorted out the hum and everything is safe you are good to go.

Joe

Luke1

Novice Member
As with all of these things there is a degree of 'leave well alone' when it comes to giving out advice which involves messing about with power and earthing!

Adding a system earth is definitely more acceptable than removing an earth.

If you have sorted out the hum and everything is safe you are good to go.

Joe
Thanks for your help. I am going to try a ground loop isolator as it's probably a safer more proper way to do it. If that's no good then I'll stick with this

ScottW75

I had an issue with he sub humming. I bought the audio quest black lab cable which has spade connectors at both ends. Connected one end to a screw on the amp's cabinet and the other to a screw on the sub and the hum was cured.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom