1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer hum on BFD

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MickB, May 23, 2004.

1. MickB

MickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When I switch the BFD on, I get a constant humming from my PB2 sub, however disconnecting the earth cable in the mains plug eliminates this, but sounds like a dodgy tactic?

Also, when I switch on the BFD, I get an extremely loud WHUMMP from the sub which surely can't do it any good, is there any guidelines for sequencing of switching on processor,BFD,sub,etc, or can this be eliminated another way?

Thanks

2. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The hum is very probably a 'ground' loop, where at least one other Audio-component is connected to earth. A solution is to not ground all components that have an earthed connection. In some cases using optical is a solution, because that isn't electrical.

You should avoid switching (ON/)OFF the BFD while the sub is on, as everyone else I've heard has the same problem.

3. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I managed to cure mains hum on our sub (earthed) by earthing the (double insulated, and therefore NOT earthed) AV amp by taking a single wire from the phono ground on it to the earth pin on a mains plug!

4. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, whatever fixes it. My Yamaha came with a grounding wire, never needed it. ;)

The fun thing about the BFD is that you can have several settings and switch easily from one to the other. Handy for comparison reasons, and to moderate bass for certain music (haven't found the need for that yet with my PB2+).

Have you found a good spot for your sub yet?

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Are you using the balanced connections on the BFD? If you are then you probably shouldn't be which may well cause the hum. :)

6. morg

morg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had mains hum on my subwoofer changed the interconnect to optical which cured
    the problem completely.