1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer hum....again

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by X-Factor, Nov 26, 2003.

1. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just got my bk xls but I'm getting hum when I connect the phono leads. Loud hum, I can't even get a decent volume without the hum being noticable.

Reading various posts I think I've got a ground loop problem, but the standard replies don't seem to work for me or I don't understand them.

I've tried turning everything off except the reciever and the sub but the hum is still there.

I've tried them in separate plugs altough it's a double socket.

Tried from another socket but sure the two sockets come from the same mains loop thing.

Tried both in the same socket via a block thing, thingmthe hum is less this way but still too noisy.

The receiver( sony str-db930) has a signal gnd but it says not to use this for grounding the receiver but it does say if your turntable has a ground lead you can stick it in here.

The amp has an ac outlet for plugging other stuff in, if I plug the sub in here will it eliminate the problem?? Does a sub use to much power to plug in here, manual says don't plug kettles, irons in..I don't know why you want you iron power by the amp.

Phhhhew that's it, can anyone help or do I have a big black box that I can never use!!

Thanks

2. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Give BK a ring. They're very helpful.

3. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep very helpful, I've got some things to try out which sound quite scary.

My old mans an electrician so I'll let him try it out as he should know what's he doing.