Subwoofer, high level only?

Bengaz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've bought a new subwoofer and stupidly didn't check compatibility with my AV receiver.
The active subwoofer has only an RCA high level input.
The AV receiver has speaker level sub out
Is there any way I can connect this sub.
I've attached a photo of the rear of the AV receive.
Thx in advance.

Attachments

• 1520184666588.jpg
    1520184666588.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 701
Hi, the only way I can find is to buy a high to low level (RCA) converter. These are quite common within car audio, but I guess there should be devices for home audio as well.

/Anders

@Bengaz Maybe I'm going blind, but I can't see any sub out terminal in your picture, it's usually with other pre-out terminals for the centre and the other normal speakers. What is the model number of the receiver and the subwoofer?

@Bengaz Maybe I'm going blind, but I can't see any sub out terminal in your picture, it's usually with other pre-out terminals for the centre and the other normal speakers. What is the model number of the receiver and the subwoofer?

Agree - looks like the Amp has line level sub out - which is what the OP "needs" for his new sub - at least according to his post - unless he means the "other way around" - so what's the Sub model then ? :)

@Bengaz for info the RCA input on your sub is referred to as a low or line level input, rather than an 'RCA high level input'. The speaker terminal outputs are the high level ones.

Could you maybe return the sub and buy a BK sub that has high level inputs? Depending quite what you've bought this may prove the better quality or value for money option too.

That's the problem...

@Bengaz for info the RCA input on your sub is referred to as a low or line level input, rather than an 'RCA high level input'. The speaker terminal outputs are the high level ones.

Could you maybe return the sub and buy a BK sub that has high level inputs? Depending quite what you've bought this may prove the better quality or value for money option too.
Sorry yes I haven't explained properly.
My amp only has speaker level output for sub and the sub only has line input. I stupidly opened the sub and it's dirty as work was done in the room and can't return it.
Would it not work if I stripped the RCA lead and connected it to the speaker level sub terminals?

Would it not work if I stripped the RCA lead and connected it to the speaker level sub terminals?

I can't quite decide if that might damage something or not but I definitely wouldn't try it. A quick Google suggests you can buy a converter cheaply.

Sorry yes I haven't explained properly.
My amp only has speaker level output for sub and the sub only has line input. I stupidly opened the sub and it's dirty as work was done in the room and can't return it.

Oh, please do not connect the RCA wires of the subwoofer to the speaker outputs. You may damage the active input stage of the subwoofer due to high voltages.

/Anders

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Whats the avr make and model? Looks like a onkyo or a pioneer. Judging from your pic it should be connected to a passive and not an active sub hence why no low level line out

Whats the avr make and model? Looks like a onkyo or a pioneer. Judging from your pic it should be connected to a passive and not an active sub hence why no low level line out
Yes, onkyo HT-R380 thanks

Yes, onkyo HT-R380 thanks
Thats a home cinema all in one from a few years back. Amp+6 speakers the sub been passive. Personally I think you should stick to a passive i.e a non powered sub. Your amp is not designed to work with a powered sub and I doubt it would give good results.

Thats a home cinema all in one from a few years back. Amp+6 speakers the sub been passive. Personally I think you should stick to a passive i.e a non powered sub. Your amp is not designed to work with a powered sub and I doubt it would give good results.
Really, even if i use one of those converters?

Really, even if i use one of those converters?
No its precisely what such adapters are designed to do and any sub that accepts speaker level input will have a similar circuit built in

Can you use the VCR phono outs on the amp or are you using them already? Maybe a splitter off those?

The correct advice has already been given which is to use the converter. It'll work fine. There's literally no other option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom