1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer hgh-level input?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sceptic, Sep 24, 2003.

1. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've just read in WHFi that a sub will accept a high-level input by connecting straight to the amp's speaker terminals in parallel with the main speakers.
    I'm not sure what this means :blush:
    At the moment my sub, a Paradigm PDR10, is connected to the sub input on the AV amp which is driven by the NAD350 as a pre-amp. This means I can't use the sub for stereo only.
    I would like the sub to be used for stereo and believe that I can do it by the method described in the first paragraph.
    Can someone please help me with this?

2. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Not sure about the in-put's on the sub. Does it have a set of binding post connectors? (8 sockets,4 red and 4 black). If so you need to connect the left/right speaker OUTPUTS of the amp to the L/R INPUTS of the sub. Then connect the OUTPUTS of the sub to the L/R speakers (ie passing the speaker cables thru the sub).
    Using the setup on the amp, set the speaker size for the L/R stereo speakers to LARGE.The crossover in the sub will split the frequencies, sending mid/hi to the main speakers,and the low frequency to the sub.

Hope this is of help to you,don't hesitate to post back for any other help.

TTFN

3. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi graham r j

Thanks for replying.
    The sub has only 4 binding posts (2 red, 2black). The NAD 350 which drives the front speakers has no speaker settings.

Currently the sub is connected to the AV amp.
    Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

4. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    My Rel sub has a low level phono connector and a High Level neutrik connector which connects to the main speakers, both connections have their own independant volume controls. I set the low level for films and the high level for music.

Maybe this is what you were reading about?

mij

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    graham r j' s description of the connection is right. with a hifi amp you cannot control what frequencies are passed through the hi level connection, all you can do is set the crossover on your sub to an appropriate level - depending on your main speakers, with my Kef Q1s I set the crossover on the MJA to 60 hz for music and that seems fine.

6. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry misinterpreted how you've got the AV amp and stereo amp connected. You've got the AV amp's front PRE-OUT sockects connected to the NAD via it's PRE-IN correct?? using it as a PRE-POWER set up.

The lack of speaker level OUT-PUTS on the sub is confusing,usually you connect the speaker cables as in my last post.The speaker settings I was referring to were on the AV amp and not on the NAD as wilber states in his post.
    What AV amp are you using? if you could tell us it may be of more help.

7. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes I've got the AV amp (Marantz SR5200) and NAD connected as you say. The sub is connected to the Marantz so is available only for AV.
    Any further advice greatly appreciated.

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A few options I can think of:

1. You can connect the sub in parallel to the front speakers, i.e. directly to the amp's speaker terminals via the high-level connection (red and black binding posts). This would duplicate the bass however when you use the AV amp, though you could run your fronts as SMALL.
    You may need to disconnect the line-level input (coming from the AV amp), depending on make and model of the sub.

2. Some subs have an internal x-over which also affects the high-level connections (see manual), in this case you would wire the front speakers from the sub's 'speaker out' and not the amplifier. The subwoofer will then cut off the bass from the fronts, thus avoiding duplication. The sub would than have 8 binding posts (4x black, 4x red) - which I see you don't. :( Again you may need to disconnect the line-level connections.

3. Very few subs allow you to run both connections simultaeneously and allow independent settings for those, some REL subs come to mind (don't know of any other actually). This would be most usefull for your scenario.

9. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Reiner
    To do the above, i.e. connect the sub's high-level connection to the amp' speaker terminals, do I have to leave the front speakers connected to the same terminals?
    This is probably a stupid question :blush:

Anyway, thanks for your advice.