1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer Help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dean, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I know a lot about HiFi except I have not much experience with subs. I got a second hand KEF that I need help with. How can I best integrate a KEF PSW2000 sub with my Mission 77 speakers? My 773e's frequency range is 50Hz-20kHz, yet the crossover on the KEF has a range of 80Hz-120Hz (it goes down to 35Hz). Am I right in assuming the best crossover point is 80Hz to make the integration as seamless as possible? Because my fronts go down to 50Hz should I set the bass management on my decoder to have the fronts as 'small' as ideally I am thinking that the fronts should cut off at 80Hz, the crossover of the sub? Help please.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In a word , yes.

Set the crossover on the decoder to 80Hz and the speakers to small. I don't know what controls are on the back of the sub but if there is a crossover switch, set it as high as possible so that the decoder does all of the filtering

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Thanks Ian, just a few things though. I am using the Dolby Digital decoder of my Sony DVD player so I am guessing it isn't as flexible as a dedicated AV amp. In short I cannot set '80Hz' on the decoder, but it allows me to set the fronts to small, which I am hoping will cut them off at 80Hz? Also on the sub there is just a crossover knob (no switch) with 80Hz as a minimum and 120Hz as a maximum. So this should be set to 80Hz I assume?

Another question is does it matter a lot whether the fronts are set to small or big? If left on big then they will of course go down to 50Hz and overlap a bit with the sub which does everything below 80Hz? Does that matter, or should I definitely set the fronts to small so that they hopefully cut off around 80Hz?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you set the crossover on the sub to 120 Hz it will hopefully crossover at a lower level from the DVD Player if you set the speakers to small.

Although the spec for your main speakers say that they will go down to 50 Hz it is this sort of area that a sub can normally handle better so the speakers would probably sound better set to small.

Like everything, experimentation is the key so play with the crossovers and large & small settings to see if there is something different that you prefer.

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Cheers Ian, yes I think experimenting with it would be the best bet. Mission recommends keeping the fronts set to large and then having crossover at 80Hz, KEF recommend the opposite! Anyway, will hopefully find the best setting soon.