Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Subwoofer Help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by geordieone, May 27, 2003.

1. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a Yamaha AXV640 yesterday and a YST-SW015 Sub. The Sub has a left and right connector (plugged into the left via RCA)

30 minutes into watching Terminator 2 I hear a buzzing and a pop, the sub has blew

Took this back to the shop and had it replaced with the demo model. Perfectly happy with this until I watched Insomnia last night, again a buzzing noise and a pop. That one has blew as well.

I think it is worth mentioning that this demo model wasn't active it was just on display in the store

In my AV room I have a laminated floor, a bookcase about 1.5" from the sub and a magazine rack about 1ft away from the sub. When it did blow I noticed the back of the sub was red hot. There is also a bit of a clump of wires coming from the back of the amp. I bought a IXOS RCA lead for the sub.

I am wondering if I am going wrong anywhere with placement, etc because it seems too much of a coincedence that 2 should blow in the same day.

Any advice?

2. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The placement doesnt sound too bad but obviously its hard to visualise, but it doesnt sound good that 2 should go in the same way. What did the shop say about the second one? Is the sub up hard aginst the wall?

3. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The shop said that can't be right, must be user error, they were quite nasty about it.

It is about 2ft away from the wall and ideas?

My train of though seems to be going the way that some of the wires that are in the same area may have caused interference although I never had this problem with my old sub :(

4. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Im assuming you bought the the reciever from the same place so take it into them and let them set it up and see if the same thing happens again. It really doesnt sound like placement, are you running it paticularly loud or is the crossover high? I dont know what the effect would be but trying to run a sub at full range by mistake could ****** it up. Everyone has clumps of wires coming out of the reciever, goes with the territory so cant be that. Have you tried plugging in your old sub? If that goes pop then you know its the reciever, depends how brave you are, maybe you could see how hot it gets and turn it off before it dies.

5. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running it at half volume, I made sure the 2nd time round that it was not too high.

My old sub gave up the ghost which was the reason for the upgrade so I can't try that :(

I'll probably end up taking the receiver to the shop to see if it is that. Thanks for your help

6. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Keep us posted about the result. Could be an expensive business blowing a sub everytime you watch a film!

7. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This would be a major concern if there was a faulty batch of Yamaha Amps, although i don't mean to scaremonger at the minute

8. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took both the sub and the amp into the shop tonight.

The amp seemed to work fine although I did tell them it normally takes around 30-45 mins for the sub to go off.

They are leaning toward thinking that they have received a bunch of faulty subs, they will test it again tomorrow morning and leave it running to elimanite the possibility that it could be the amp.

Just one thought keeps knawing at my mind though.........Could the interconnect be faulty???

9. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I dont know how a faulty interconnect could do that to a sub, I suppose you will find out tomorrow. Lets just hope that another subs blows or it could get complicated. Was the interconnect new with the other two or did you use it with the old sub? How did that die out of interest?

10. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sub just stop functioning. It was giving a sort of distorted vibration and you had to turn it right up to even hear anything.

The interconnect was brand new as well, I might just buy another one anyway to be on the safe side.

11. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Doesnt sound like the shop has a leg to stand on if they start getting stroppy about the subs, if everything was from them they cant blame it on another part of your kit. Any news from the shop yet? Maybe you just dont have any luck with subs! You could just try a normal phono interconnect to see if that makes any difference, dont go buying a new one until you need to.

12. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shop rang up today, they have spoke to Yamaha, they are at a loss as to what has gone on, they are sending a brand new sub and a brand new amp out

Anyone got any ideas where I could get a good 5m interconnect from, looking to pay around £20 delivered and it needs to be despatched quickly

13. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Might be worth speaking to Uncle Eric in the power buy section, he has been selling sub cables to people who bought subs from him at good prices. He might be able to help you, I got a 10m profigold cable for £18 when I bought my sub from him so I dont know what he might be able to offer you. Lets hope thats the end of your troubles!

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Forum sponsors Hifibitz have a 5mtre QED cable for £15 which is the type that I use so click on the link at the top right and check it out

15. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, keeping you updated.

Got both new items today, have a guess what happened after 20 minutes of use

hummmmmmm.....pop

Another sub gone. Shall I think about moving to a completely different model of sub?

I haven't rung the shop yet to tell them. I'll do it tomorrow now.

16. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Looks like you have a serious problem somewhere,do you have any of your gear pluged into a antisurge socket? I'm sure the shop will think its something that you are doing wrong by now.

17. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is fast becoming my train of thought, It is plugged directly into the wall, but it looks like I will have to put some anti-surge extensions in. I just hope the shop give me one last chance.

18. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Has the sub got any sort of power light on it....??
    If it has and the light goes out, each time these things blow, then it would sound like the PSU going POP......which would be down to the electrics in your home......but there should be an inline fuse, that should go first.
    If the power light is still on when the sub goes pop, then i would say it sounds like an intrenal amp prob and is prob 99% down to the SUB.

See if they will let you change it for a different make of sub.....if it happens to another make.......YOU have some serious probs with your wiring, either Mains(240v) or A/V.

19. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Whoops. They arent going to like you! It all sounds pretty unbelievable, are you sure its nothing your doing (i dont mean to insult your inteligence)!?!

20. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything looks plugged in OK.

They have just gave me a loan of a REL Quake. Should these things get pretty warm at the back when in use.

I felt the back of it halfway through a film tonight and it was pretty warm. Needless to say I stopped the Film and turned the sub off

21. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any Ideas what I should be doing on this. The sub is insured so It technically doesn't matter if it does blow, but I don't want to call the shop with my tail between my legs again :(

22. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Can you not take it to a friends house and see if it gets as hot there......??

If not, then try it and see what happens....but i would of thought, that if it goes bang, then you could be looking at a bill from the dealer, no more help and a bill from an electrician, to sort out your wireing........cos if it does go bang then you must have some serious house wireing probs, with some major spikes accouring and its best to get it sorted before something catches light.

23. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the thing is, it gets hot, but it doesn't totally short out because the power light is still on which does lead me to think it isn't an issue with the plug socket.

I'm now scared to even try it in case it blows

The shop are replacing the amp anyway because they sent a black one out rather than titanium. They are doing a home install on this. I might wait until they come out, then ask their opinion...This would probably be the best option.

24. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You could always, get some beers in...then once they have installed it for you, ask them if they mind staying for a couple of beers and a movie...........
    Then they can see if it goes bang, half way through a film.

They might think you are a bit sad and lonley, asking it.
    but at least they will see it for themselfs.

25. mumu

mumu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds very much like you have a ground loop problem in your wiring there.
    Does the hum & pop coincide with any other electrical equipment in your house coming on - the fridge compressor for example??
    Or do you have a constant hum with your sub that just gets louder before death?
    This kind of problem will almost certainly blow the input circuitry to the sub or the output from the amp, whichever is weaker, but leave all psu's etc still functional, hence power light still on.

26. Bav007

Bav007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geordieone

As an inexpensive test, plug in a lamp into the socket you use for the sub.

Use with a bulb that has a similar wattage rating as your sub, then wait 45 mins and see if it goes pop!

If it does, get an electrician in!

Bav007

27. geordieone

geordieone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the thing, it's not a constant hum, it's just heating up a lot , then a five second hum, then pop

I'm totally at a loss as to what has gone wrong, I might try the bulb test.

28. mumu

mumu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt say that if a bulb survives then its ok to plug the sub back in, if overvoltage was the problem then most likely the PSU would blow. But you say this is not happening, the power light stays on??
    How is everything connected?
    Is it all plugged into the same socket or different sockets? (It is generally best to plug everything connected to your a/v sytem into a single multi point extension from one socket - as long as you dont have massively powerful amps)
    If on different sockets are they on the same ring circuit?

It is always possible that the shop had a faulty batch of subs (these things do happen occaisionally), but more likely is a problem with your home electrics / the way you have connected the system.

P.S. ground loops can and do occur even in correctly wired buildings due to the way equipment is plugged into the distribution system.

29. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought that I would add something which has happened to me.

I had a lamp in my bedroom, which had a 12v bulb (so had a transformer in it) and everytime I turned the lamp on or off, the sub would make a loud pop and cut out. Turning the sub off and back on would resolve the issue, until I turned the lamp on or off again. I've now gone back to a normal 240v 60w lamp just to be on the safe side.

Hope this is of some use, and I hope you get it sorted.