Subwoofer Help!!!!

LOOFA1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Ladies & Gents, I am looking for some advice please, I've had a Denon AVR-2113 Receiver for quite a few years, with it have 2 x Mordaunt Short 2 x Aviano 1xr Bookshelfs, Aviano 6 Floor standers & an Aviano Centre. I've recently purchased a second hand Alumni 9 Subwoofer, I got a relatively cheap Sub cable, I've run the Audyssey set up that acknowledges the Subwoofer & the test sounds come out, but when I've played music when it is loud enough to be Sub worthy there is heavy distortion from the word go. Anybody have any ideas where I am going wrong please or does it sound like there is an issue with the Hardware?

Hi Ladies & Gents, I am looking for some advice please, I've had a Denon AVR-2113 Receiver for quite a few years, with it have 2 x Mordaunt Short 2 x Aviano 1xr Bookshelfs, Aviano 6 Floor standers & an Aviano Centre. I've recently purchased a second hand Alumni 9 Subwoofer, I got a relatively cheap Sub cable, I've run the Audyssey set up that acknowledges the Subwoofer & the test sounds come out, but when I've played music when it is loud enough to be Sub worthy there is heavy distortion from the word go. Anybody have any ideas where I am going wrong please or does it sound like there is an issue with the Hardware?
Source, settings, or subwoofer.

Try a different source, does the sub sound ok at moderate levels with a blu-ray for example?

Settings---turn down the gain on the sub to say 1/3rd for now. Check the AVR. All speakers set to small, sub output level around the midpoint?(it typically ranges from -12 to +12). Try different listening modes.

Sub. Is the noise dependent on volume? At LOW volume it sounds ok but the more you increase volume the more audible the noise becomes?

Tom V.

Source, settings, or subwoofer.

Try a different source, does the sub sound ok at moderate levels with a blu-ray for example?

Settings---turn down the gain on the sub to say 1/3rd for now. Check the AVR. All speakers set to small, sub output level around the midpoint?(it typically ranges from -12 to +12). Try different listening modes.

Sub. Is the noise dependent on volume? At LOW volume it sounds ok but the more you increase volume the more audible the noise becomes?

Tom V.

Hi Tom, thanks for your response, I will try different sources, this was music being cast from Spotify to the receiver, as soon as the bass reaches the level when the Sub kicks in it is distorted immediately, the louder you go the louder this distortion.

I have to ask, how have you got the sub connected to the AVR? What port are you connected to on the AVR and what port on the Sub? Also how have you got the setting set up on the sub? Here is a link to the setup manual Mordaunt Short User Manuals (mordaunt-short.com)

Hi Tom, thanks for your response, I will try different sources, this was music being cast from Spotify to the receiver, as soon as the bass reaches the level when the Sub kicks in it is distorted immediately, the louder you go the louder this distortion.
try connect a portable device to the sub directly. A portable streamer/MP3 for example. If it still distorts chances are the sub is at fault. Did you happen to hear it playing before you made the purchase?

Tom V.

Humming sound coming from Cambridge aero 9 subwoofer how do I stop this?

Humming sound coming from Cambridge aero 9 subwoofer how do I stop this?

Attachments

• DSC_0852.JPG
    DSC_0852.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 21

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom