1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Tom A, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Tom A

Tom A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I wondered if anyone can help me choosing a sub.

I've got a Denon AVR1601, Pioneer DV-535 and Tannoy MX4AV speaker package which I've had for about 2 and 1/2 yrs now. I've been happy with them really, I just wonder if I'm missing out not having a dedicated sub.

I've read through some previous posts on sub recommendations and looks like the Velodyne VX-10 or CHT-10 and MJ Acoustics Pro50 would be good buys. My living room is 35' by 17' but the speakers are only in one half sperated by an arch. At a push I could go up to the CHT-10 at £385 but having not had a sub before I wonder if the other two would sound great to me anyway.

I use my setup for music as well as films, so would like the sub to work well in stereo too.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tom.

2. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tom, had a simular issue as have a 24'x12' room and after much talking with the dudes at SVS it seems that this sort of size does need alot of sub to fill.

I doubled my budget and have an SVS on it's way, but they recon that might not be enough!

However it all depends on how close to referance levels you have everything else, if this isn't enough I'll just listen at lower levels or not have the sub as high (it'll still be better then no sub ;) ).

You may want to home trial the biggest thing you can afford and see if it'll fill your room okay. You might even like less sub and be able to get something smaller. Certainly the CHT gets good comments.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you want your sub to perform with music as well as films I would discount the Velodyne VX-10 straight away as it's not in the same league as the other two. Whilst either the Velodyne CHT-10 or MJ Acoustics Pro 50 should do you for films, most of the hifi buffs would put a tick in the MJA box.

4. Tom A

Tom A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got me tempted by the pro50 for the music side of things but as a complete novice I just wonder if it will be powerful enough in films. The ref100 is only £50 dearer and twice as powerful but would this be less refined for music? I'm sure I'd be happy with either to be honest.

Thanks for both your help.

Cheers,
    Tom.