Subwoofer Help Please

Kapkirk

I currently have a cambridge Minx subwoofer connected to my TV Panasonic HZ2000 OLED with just a 3.5mm jack lead into one R+ of the sub inputs from the dedicated sub output from the TV headphone socket and it works just great, The sub his has another sub input L+ so can I connect my surround sound amp to the empty L+ low level input to the Cambridge Minx to get output from my surround amp at the same time? and enjoy better low frequency sound from that at the same time without first having to remove the other cable from the TV? I would like to leave both inputs permanently connected to the sub.
I ask because I have been running it this way for 2 years now with no issues UNTIL last month when I lost the sub output from my Yamaha receiver) it now makes a funny humming noise but the TV out still works OK, it seems either through bad luck or the way its connected together that it has damaged the output socket on the Yamaha. So can you run 2 outputs into one sub without causing any damage? SHOULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED? Is the only option to leave the Minx doing the bas for the TV and buy another sub for surround sound amp? I Have another amp I want to use but am reluctant now.

g779X201B-B.jpg

Ultrasonic

SHOULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED?

I can see that it's possible that what you did caused the fault. An output on one device expects to be connected to an input on another device, which will offer a high impedance (resistance) load and so draw very little current. If you have two inputs connected together then the output impedance of the second input becomes relevant and this will be low and so more current could be drawn and potentially cause damage at either end. Depending quite how things are wired up inside the Minx it's possible that the situation you had was like the second case.

I use a switch like below to change between two different sources feeding my own sub to avoid a possibility like above. There are cheaper alternatives available.

Amazon product
Why is it that you wanted the connection to the TV in the first place though, rather than always using the signal via your AV amp?

Kapkirk

Thanks Ultrasonic, Yeah I kinda had the feeling that the output from the TV headphone socket maybe damaged the Yamaha amp sub output stage while connected to the Minx Sub, would have thought it safe tho seeing as it's only a few mV signal and the Pany is designed to output sub F from that socket.
The Yamaha AVR is very old and no HDMI or Pass-through, plus to complicate things further I'm using a 2 ch amp for the main L=R channels as music is more important to me than surround sound which is why I haven't upgraded the surround amp yet.
When listening to surround sound through the amps there is a delay from the TV so I turn TV sound off hence no subwoofer unless from the yamaha. Such a pain in the A** really. I'm looking to maybe move to one amp for both music and movies but of course there will be a compromise. Helluva lot easier tho.

Ultrasonic

Thanks Ultrasonic, Yeah I kinda had the feeling that the output from the TV headphone socket maybe damaged the Yamaha amp sub output stage while connected to the Minx Sub, would have thought it safe tho seeing as it's only a few mV signal and the Pany is designed to output sub F from that socket.
The Yamaha AVR is very old and no HDMI or Pass-through, plus to complicate things further I'm using a 2 ch amp for the main L=R channels as music is more important to me than surround sound which is why I haven't upgraded the surround amp yet.
When listening to surround sound through the amps there is a delay from the TV so I turn TV sound off hence no subwoofer unless from the yamaha. Such a pain in the A** really. I'm looking to maybe move to one amp for both music and movies but of course there will be a compromise. Helluva lot easier tho.

I understand your frustration as stereo music is my primary focus too. I currently just run 2.1 for movies and this is actually why I use the switch I mentioned above. It's tempting to rear and center channels too but that will make things even more complicated! I may at some point...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom