1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer Heat Question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Willem Vos, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was running-in my subwoofer yesterday, and I thought it might be a good idea to leave the test-tone running.
    After a couple of hours I wanted to turn down the volume a little bit, but I noticed the backplate was pretty hot
    (I could still put my hand on it, but barely).
    Is this a bad thing? How much heat can they stand...

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Cant say I´ve ever touched the back of my sub to check if its hot or not. I would imagine they would get fairly warm though.

I would have thought it would be better to play music to run the sub in, rather than the test tone.

3. starlight

starlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi William
    I too consider it unwise to run in a sub with a constant tone, as this will not 'exercise' it across its range and may in fact have a deliterious effect on the driver.

As to heat - a sub rated at say 200 watts will be producing a fair amount of heat and most dissipate this through the back plate. You don't indicate your make/model but if it is a closed box there is no cooling effect from air exchange.

If your model is genuinely tested to CE standards (some which carry the logo are not) then it should not be able to exceed set temperatures, either by its output or by incorporating a thermal cutout.

To come back to running on a continuous tone, this will generate more heat than the varying signal of music.

rgds

4. Willem Vos

Willem Vos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I'll stop doing it :)
    It is a REL Q150e (closed box). Does anyone know if this model incorporates a thermal protection?

5. starlight

starlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in some form - either by reducing gain before reaching high point of an actua\l cut out - I am not sure which, doesn,t manual say? If not check with them and post response as it would be interesting to know

6. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Q150 - for about 10 minutes.
    The back plate got red-hot very quickly. This was one of the faulty humming subs.

Needless to say it was replaced.

7. Willem Vos

Willem Vos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, mine definitely didn't get hot quickly, it was running for 4 hours on the test-tone.

I was just wondering if the sub can switch itself off when it gets too hot. I already asked REL, still waiting for the response.

8. Willem Vos

Willem Vos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Response from REL:
    "Hi Willem,
    Running a sub of this power continually for a long
    period with a single test tone frequency will cause the panel to get very hot. In normal operation the sub will never 'see' conditions like this and will run at a normal temperature."

Nothing about protection... so I asked again.