Subwoofer guidance please

blue max

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I have pretty much decided to splash out on a sub, but never having had one, I realise I need a bit of guidance from you more experienced members.

I hope this is a bit different to the usual, so hope it's not too unusual.

I live in a flat (middle) and have a reasonably large room (20x12ft/6.25x3.7m).

My speakers are Dynaudio Xeo 6. These are wireless speakers, so I don't have an external amp. They are three way floorstanders and claim to go down to 31Hz.

They are fed by a wireless box (connect). I have managed to secure a second wireless box (link) in order to add additional speakers (or a sub).

I mainly watch Youtube, but have access to Amazon Prime and have a movie collection on a server.

So, my thoughts are... I want a competent sub - I'm thinking of the SVS PB3000. I'm not worried about size or cost within reason.

My concerns are regarding playing the sub at lower volume levels. Will it be able to give me the punch I would like, without rattling the windows?

Or at lower listening levels, am I just as well getting the pb2000 pro, or even the SB versions?

Additionally, with no av amp to do the clever stuff, what is generally considered the best way of managing it? Or is the app good enough?

Oh, and if anyone knows the best place to buy, it would be great :smashin:

Cheers all.

There's the XLS 400, but IMO for music I'd get front firing
If your link has rca output, that would need to be variable in relation to volume on your mains, full range. THen you adjust the crrossover on the subwoofer itself. If you have no way of sending variable line level or high level, you're stuffed.

How is the soundproofing in your flat? 20/30 hz bass frequencies travel through concrete and pretty much any soundproofing (that isn't decoupling) like it's not there. Maybe a get a home trial to see how you and your neighbours like it.
Set up could be difficult. I'm not familiar with the app you mention of the link box I am afraid.

How is the soundproofing in your flat? 20/30 hz bass frequencies travel through concrete and pretty much any soundproofing (that isn't decoupling) like it's not there. Maybe a get a home trial to see how you and your neighbours like it.
Set up could be difficult. I'm not familiar with the app you mention of the link box I am afraid.
Thanks. Hmmm, I don't really know. I believe it was soundproofed when refurbished (well, it was said to have been when I bought it). But I've never had a complaint so far and my floorstanders go down to 31Hz, so that sounds promising. My main worry is getting good quality bass, without blowing the doors off. And whether a more capable sub will handle it better or just be wasted.

There's the XLS 400, but IMO for music I'd get front firing
If your link has rca output, that would need to be variable in relation to volume on your mains, full range. THen you adjust the crrossover on the subwoofer itself. If you have no way of sending variable line level or high level, you're stuffed.
Thanks. I believe the volume is via the remote for both the speakers and additional speakers (sub in this case). I'm assuming this will work as it sells it for that purpose...

I thought the SVS PB3000 was front firing? I must admit, I've never seen on in the flesh though.

Find out if those red and white RCA outputs are fixed or pre amp (so as you alter volume RCA outputs change)

Then you're ok. Just need a subwoofer with stereo input and crossover, bk subs will be fine

Then you're ok. Just need a subwoofer with stereo input and crossover, bk subs will be fine
I was thinking of SVS, rather than BK. Nothing against BK, but my research suggests that SVS are king of the hill.

You could try one of these, only a 10" driver but with plenty of output, far better than a BK XXLS400 and a heck of a lot cheaper than a PB3000.

My concerns are regarding playing the sub at lower volume levels. Will it be able to give me the punch I would like, without rattling the windows?

Or at lower listening levels, am I just as well getting the pb2000 pro, or even the SB versions?
Personally I wouldn't buy a PB-3000 for "lower volume levels", it's not what they do best. I have a pair of them in a dedicated 5.7mx5.4m room in a double brick cavity detached house with modern double glazing and I'm still glad the nearest neighbour isn't very close by. Yes, I could turn them down but then I wouldn't get the real benefit of having them.

For a room that size in a flat I would be looking at getting a pair of less powerful, cheaper, smaller subs. A pair is likely to give you a far more even response and that wonderful "bass is all around you" sensation.

To update - I picked up an Arendal 1723 1v in the classifieds and it is awesome! Fills out my standmounts superbly. Solidifies the base down to the lower registers. I am sure I made the right choice going large, even if I don't use the higher volumes. A weedy sub would just not have cut it I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom