Subwoofer for movies (mainly)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Fairzo, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a system upgrade and, in particular, for a sub that makes the earth and sofa move. There's a lot of good words (and a few bad) on here about SVS but if it needs to be imported direct is there nowhere it can be auditioned? Any suggestions on the model(s) that make your internals vibrate? How is it with music, although that's a secondary issue?

In terms of the amp I was hoping to get the Denon 3803 although may need to go for the 1804 in the shorter term. Will this make a significant difference to the sub performance?

What about speaker matching? I quite like the Gallo micros (although the sub didn't do much for me which is why I'm looking for a separate). Is it feasible to put an SVS with the Gallos? Does the absence of crossover on the speakers cause any difficulties?

Sorry, there's a lot of questions. Any help gratefully received.

2. Jsinger

Jsinger
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you have a budget in mind? That would help in narrowing down your options.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    SVS sell direct from the factory to the consumer and it is this business model that allows them to sell at such a competitive price. The downside to not having a dealer and importer structure to double the price is that there aren't any demo facilities.

It would seem that the PC Plus is the range that most people have gone for and the mid sized model, 20-39 is the most popular size.

A good subwoofer should be able to integrate with any speakers but it would be a shame to waste such quality on lifestyle satellites.

Gallo speakers in particular seem to be very fussy about partnering equipment so I would try and have a demo of the speakers with the amp of your choice, to ensure that you are happy with the sound.

The quality of the LFE signal is affected by the quality of the whole bass management implemented within the amp and the amount of distortion added to the signal by some of the poorer amps is a significant amount when the speakers are set to small.

4. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jsinger, ah yes that would have been helpful. It may seem strange starting the system round the sub but I really like to lose myself in movies and a good sub should help the 'feel'. I bought a Sony DAVS500 on a 'temporary' basis until I could sort out proper kit so any separates will no doubt sound better.

I thought perhaps £600 - 700 for the sub but would go higher for the right 'effect'. It seems that importing from the US may give better value for money. Wouldn't want to have to think about upgrading for a long time.

Would compromise on the amp if necessary in the short term, i.e. Denon 1804 instead of the 3803 so I suppose that's £400 ish. Gallo speakers (or others) about £1000. Probably wouldn't go mad on DVD player immediately either, say £300ish. So that's about £2500 although an extra couple of hundred quid won't be insurmountable.

If it makes any difference viewing area in one end of a 24 ft x 12 ft room, across the shorter distance.

Sorry, rambled on again.

5. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IanJ "A good subwoofer should be able to integrate with any speakers but it would be a shame to waste such quality on lifestyle satellites.

Gallo speakers in particular seem to be very fussy about partnering equipment so I would try and have a demo of the speakers with the amp of your choice, to ensure that you are happy with the sound."

I've heard the Gallos with the 3803 and to my untrained ear they sounded good. I've thought of the Gallos as a little more than life style although I've very little experience in auditioning or noticing often subtle differences between setups. What would you suggest for similar price?

"The quality of the LFE signal is affected by the quality of the whole bass management implemented within the amp and the amount of distortion added to the signal by some of the poorer amps is a significant amount when the speakers are set to small."

Are you saying that the 1804 would be regarded as a 'poorer amp' in a setup like this?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It is your ears, untrained or not that any speakers have to appeal to. I have heard the range of Gallo speakers on several occasions and sometimes they have sounded very good and others they have sounded anything from dull to dreadful. I believe that the majority of the differences that I heard could have been accounted for by the differences in the partnering amplification and that could also have been one of the problems that caused What Hifi to give them only 2 stars in their review.

If you are interested in lifestyle speakers you could do worse than demo the Blueroom Minipods that are available in the Powerbuy forum at a very good price but there are many traditionally shaped and designed speakers that offer good value for money within your budget and I would suggest starting with the Monitor Audio range.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer. Hifi Choice tested multi channel amps some time ago and found huge variations in the levels of distortion from the LFE channel with the speakers set to small but the results weren't all price related and I no longer have that particular edition

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my own personal experience, a poor amp has a huge impact on the abilityof a sub. I had a Sherwood amp with the Paradigm servo 15's I have now. I was distincly underwhelmed by the performance of the servo's. When I changed to the AV8 the performance lept up considerably, it was like night and day.

Regards
    John

8. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

This is where I normally go into the foetal position and whimper. I can't justify to myself, let alone the other half, the cost of the Arcam kit. So then I start to think that I'll be spending two or three grand or more on stuff that won't reach it's potential so why bother?:confused:

The other worrying thing is that auditioning almost anything sounds better than what I'm used to and I end up being amazed by most things that are put in front of me. I was impressed by Bose once.

Anyway, back to reality. I suppose the bottom line is that if I go for an amp costing say £700ish like the Denon 3803 am I wasting my time going for the SVS subs because the earth will only move a bit? All very subjective I know but your comments are appreciated.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    You won't be wasting your time or your money. The Denon 3803 is a well thought of amp and unless you have severe problems with your room the combination of amp and SVS sub should put a smile on your face that will stay there.

I have a Denon AVC10SE amp and SVS sub combination which isn't that dissimilar.

10. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian, I can move on from there. 'Lifestyle' speakers aren't a vital part of the kit although wifey will need a little more convincing to accept something that looks like a speaker.

Again, I know it's subjective but would you tend to avoid trying to match a satellite system with the rest of these components? Monitor Audio may fit the bill at around the price range, what others would you suggest are worth a listen?

Thanks for your help.