Subwoofer for LS50 metas and Naim atom

andycc72

Appreciated.

I guess we all have to cater to our own room sizes. I can't see myself getting away with 2 subs for now. Possibly one for the future when I change the lay out of the room.
I was going to buy 1 Rel T7i but then got the chance to to get a superb used T5i for £250 which meant I could get 2 of those for less than the price of 1 T7i even paying full
price for the second one so went for that.

Gilly442

Standard Member
That sounds like an excellent deal. Would defo go down that route if I could get 2 for that price.

I'm swaying towards the BK at the moment.

andycc72

That sounds like an excellent deal. Would defo go down that route if I could get 2 for that price.

I'm swaying towards the BK at the moment.
I got it from Shpock from an old couple who had just bought a sound-bar and wanted rid of the sub. I was happy to take if off their hands for that price. I had a result on that one to be fair as it was in immaculate condition.

Gilly442

Standard Member
After a little more research I'm swaying towards the XXLS 200DF.

From a size perspective it just seems a more natural fit and also from a budget perspective.

Anyone have any experience of the XXLS 200DF with a musical setup?

Gilly442

Standard Member
Also one last question would be DF or FF for music?

Jester1066

Also one last question would be DF or FF for music?
Technicallly it doesn't make a difference to the sound - unless you have a suspended/floating floor. Many people with young children get DF subs as it keeps the driver away from finger etc

Gilly442

Standard Member
Technicallly it doesn't make a difference to the sound - unless you have a suspended/floating floor. Many people with young children get DF subs as it keeps the driver away from finger etc
Ah yes... I have 2 of those! Think I'll go for the DF just to be on the safe side. Youngest is 7 months and will lick anything that moves currently :facepalm:

Gilly442

Standard Member
Admittedly I'm now also looking at a svs sb1000 which has come up in the classifieds.

I'm like a cheap date on this forum! :D

Jester1066

Admittedly I'm now also looking at a svs sb1000 which has come up in the classifieds.

I'm like a cheap date on this forum! :D
Get it..... Cracking sub. Great output for such a small size. Will be better than an xxls200. They are FF only though!

It'll stop me buying it for my 2.1 Bedroom system! My wallet needs a rest - so you'll be doing me a favour!

Gilly442

Standard Member
Get it..... Cracking sub. Great output for such a small size. Will be better than an xxls200. They are FF only though!

It'll stop me buying it for my 2.1 Bedroom system! My wallet needs a rest - so you'll be doing me a favour!
😂 😂

Just got to convince the wife it'll look good next to the royal blue metas.... I've got a real challenge on my hands I fear!

I'm not too concerned with looks... She unfortunately is.

Jester1066

Just got to convince the wife it'll look good next to the royal blue metas.... I've got a real challenge on my hands I fear!

I'm not too concerned with looks... She unfortunately is.
She could put a bit of blue material on the top! 😂

Gilly442

Standard Member
Ok so quick update.

Managed to bag myself a svs sb1000. It's now paired up to the Atom and LS50 metas.

I've also invested in some Chord clearway X factory terminated speaker cables and finally received my Audio Chic speaker stands which are really nice and more importantly keep my wife happy.

Result - awesome!!!!

Have the sub set relatively low volume and cross over at 100hz. The extra bass is seamless. I sometimes have to go over and check the sub is on :D:D

This is pretty much as I wanted it. Great result overall and huge thanks to everyone that helped with suggestions. Great forum :clap:
16154061121477391472393942906356.jpg
16154061500668500147175276455111.jpg
16154062012078103704466643410168.jpg
16154062280345456037451198875760.jpg

Jester1066

Lovely looking setup you got. So pleased that the SVS SB1000 has achieved the desired result. 👍🏼

andycc72

I’m converting my garage into a listening room/man cave and it will have suspended flooring. I have two DF subs (Rel T5i’s).
What will the ‘difference to the sound’ you refer to be once I move them into the room with the suspended/floating floor?

Jester1066

I’m converting my garage into a listening room/man cave and it will have suspended flooring. I have two DF subs (Rel T5i’s).
What will the ‘difference to the sound’ you refer to be once I move them into the room with the suspended/floating floor?
Sorry, to clarify by "difference to the sound' I meant that some people experience more floor vibrations when using df subs on floating floors. Using an isolation platform can help reduce this.

I didn't intend for my comment to be a generalisation in anyway. Nor that a DF sub cannot or should not be used on suspended floors. More that imo (and after browsing these & other forums), the general consensus is that DF subs can cause suspended floors to vibrate more than their FF equivalents.

Edit:
There are loads of threads with differing opinions on this. Have a read and see what you think.

For example:

Last edited:

andycc72

Sorry, to clarify by "difference to the sound' I meant that some people experience more floor vibrations when using df subs on floating floors. Using an isolation platform can help reduce this.

I didn't intend for my comment to be a generalisation in anyway. Nor that a DF sub cannot or should not be used on suspended floors. More that imo (and after browsing these & other forums), the general consensus is that DF subs can cause suspended floors to vibrate more than their FF equivalents.
Excellent thanks for clarifying, once in the man cave if I experience the vibrations i'll look at isolation pads. I love the T5i's and for second I though that DF subs might not be suitable for rooms with suspended floors; mild panic ensued ;)

I'll have a read of the threads you linked, thanks1

Jester1066

Excellent thanks for clarifying, once in the man cave if I experience the vibrations i'll look at isolation pads. I love the T5i's and for second I though that DF subs might not be suitable for rooms with suspended floors; mild panic ensued ;)
No worries. I've actually added an edit to my reply above. Which will hopefully give context to it. Incidentally the isolation can simply be a concrete patio slab of sufficient thickness, or marble etc if you want it to look more visually appealing!

A quick "DIY Subwoofer Isolation" google search will give plenty of cheaper alternatives to the proprietary Auralex Subdude etc - Assuming unlike me, you're handier than yours truly at DIY 🤣😉

andycc72

No worries. I've actually added an edit to my reply above. Which will hopefully give context to it. Incidentally the isolation can simply be a concrete patio slab of sufficient thickness, or marble etc if you want it to look more visually appealing!

A quick "DIY Subwoofer Isolation" google search will give plenty of cheaper alternatives to the proprietary Auralex Subdude etc - Assuming unlike me, you're handier than yours truly at DIY 🤣😉
Despite coming from a long line of builders I can just about change a plug, any DIY is out of the question. I'll be going for the off the shelf solution ;)

Jester1066

Despite coming from a long line of builders I can just about change a plug, any DIY is out of the question. I'll be going for the off the shelf solution ;)
In that case:

Or if you need larger:

Much cheaper than an Auralex. 😊😉

andycc72

In that case:

Or if you need larger:

Much cheaper than an Auralex. 😊😉
Much appreciated Was just looking at the Auralex Subdude; quite pricey !

Jester1066

PomMarantz

Standard Member
Hi all,

Relatively new here so go easy. I've recently purchased a naim uniti atom and some Kef ls50 meta (royal blue) as a in-between solution to having an music setup which I'm currently using. Then at some point in the future I'll be adding a t.v and sub to compete a 2.1 setup.

At this moment in time my ls50s are sat on top of a side cabinet which of course doesn't help them produce their full sound. So I've invested in a pair of audio chic stands which I'm expecting in the next week or so. I feel these will allow the metas the room they need to fulfill their potential.

However I feel it would be a good idea to add a sub to the equation whilst I'm only using as a music setup. The dilemma I have is that having spent all my money on stands speakers and amp I'm now very low on budget for a subwoofer to pair with this setup.

I've been searching eBay and similar places for something that would work well with the above. Obviously I know budget is key here so I'm firmly setting my stall at £300.

Would really welcome some suggestions as to what would be suitable.

I will eventually (one my room is changed around and TV is added) get something new as a long term investment. But for now any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gill
Hey Gill...
Watch this: (I really like Steve!) Could be Meta heaven for you.
$1500 🤭😮
I have a small room and some Monitor Audio Silver 100s in a 5.1 set-up (and a current flabby sub). I do listen to stereo music 2.1, though.
I am saving up! 🙂

Gilly442

Standard Member
Must not watch... Must not watch 😁😁

Although if I'm honest I've already seen that video about 3x lol.

Definitely on the shopping list at some point in the future! Love the idea of a little sub that can deliver like that.

Will be perfect for when I make some changes to room layout in a couple of years.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
DS Audio launches third generation DS003 optical cartridge
  • By Andy Bassett