Question Subwoofer for hifi

Bugtao

Novice Member
I am wanting to improve the bass performance of my WiFi. I have Tannoy Venus mk2 speakers and separate pre and power Rotel 8708x amp. The speakers are rated at 100W each and the amp 400W total. The sound is really good except for the bass which is a bit lacking in depth and detail. I am looking at adding a subwoofer and have shortlisted the REL Tzero MKiii and the B&W ASW608. Looking for advice on whether these would really improve the system and which would be best. I like the small size of both particularly the REL, but am worried it would be a bit low on power (100W) and that the 6.5 inch driver might not be big enough.

Solution
I've been an owner of a REL T5 for almost nine years. It's a great little musical sub. Very fast and precise and fairly easy to set up with the high level Neutrik input. It underpins the bass beautifully with 5.1 music such as multi channel SACD, blu-ray, etc. I've long stopped using it with stereo as my speakers go deep enough for my personal taste.

It's not a sub that will kick you in the chest with bass notes. You will hear the bass because of it's speed. Never draws attention to itself just does a good job of underpinning the notes. The T7i would be even better.

If you are thinking of using with a home cinema as well the T5 does lack the slam required for film soundtracks.

Bugtao

Novice Member
I would look at a bk pr300 sb for slightly more than the price of a t zero mark 3 or the t5i if you can stretch your budget.
Thanks for the recommendation. That looks like a great subwoofer, but I don't have the space for it. I am looking at small units for that reason, but am worried that they may not give the best results.

Upvote 0

password1

Thanks for the recommendation. That looks like a great subwoofer, but I don't have the space for it. I am looking at small units for that reason, but am worried that they may not give the best results.
Thebk is aot bigger but there's not much difference in size between the t5i and the b&w.

the t5i has been reduced to £489. £100 more than the b&w which i think is worth it. you get a nicer finish and rel reliability.

Upvote 0

Bugtao

Novice Member
Thebk is aot bigger but there's not much difference in size between the t5i and the b&w.

the t5i has been reduced to £489. £100 more than the b&w which i think is worth it. you get a nicer finish and rel reliability.
Thanks, I am now considering the REL T5i, B&W 608 or the 610. My room is about 7m x 4m, though I have the hifi in about a 4x4m area (if that makes any difference). I'm looking for excellent musicality, so am erring towards the B&W 610. Also wondering whether 2 of the smaller ones might be better than 1 of the 610's. Any expert advice would be very welcome.

Upvote 0

password1

Ive never demoed those b&w subs but ive heard the t5 (non i version) and it is excellent for music and build quality is very good. On paper its not very deep but it does a better job than the minx x200 and x300 and is able to pressurise the small demo room at richersounds.

obviously it depends on the type of music..if you listen to a lot of deep bass

I think the t zero subs would struggle in that size room, although two of them might do the job.

Upvote 0

Bugtao

Novice Member
The B&W ASW610 is in WhatHIFi's best subs list, which is what brought it to my attention. REL don't make it onto the list at all. I am still torn between this and the REL T5i. Have also seen some negative comments about REL on this forum. Would be really nice to here from someone who has heard both with music.

Upvote 0

password1

You should take whf reviews with a pinch of salt. Best thing to do is read reviews from owners as a rough guide and demo when possible. Some retailers offer home demo or you'll have to wait till lockdown ends as I think some places offer pre booked demo (at least they did last yea).

The negative comments I think are value for money compared to bk subs and the t5/t5i don't go very deep on paper. They have a reputationfor being musical but for movies there are better value but much bigger in physical size subs

Upvote 0

gibbsy

I've been an owner of a REL T5 for almost nine years. It's a great little musical sub. Very fast and precise and fairly easy to set up with the high level Neutrik input. It underpins the bass beautifully with 5.1 music such as multi channel SACD, blu-ray, etc. I've long stopped using it with stereo as my speakers go deep enough for my personal taste.

It's not a sub that will kick you in the chest with bass notes. You will hear the bass because of it's speed. Never draws attention to itself just does a good job of underpinning the notes. The T7i would be even better.

If you are thinking of using with a home cinema as well the T5 does lack the slam required for film soundtracks.

Upvote 0

Bugtao

Novice Member

I will use it only with my stereo. The REL T5i sounds like it will do a good job and looks like being the safer option, so will probably go for that. Anybody out there have any experience with the B&W ASW610 or 608 before I make a final decision?

Upvote 0
Solution

Bugtao

Novice Member
Thebk is aot bigger but there's not much difference in size between the t5i and the b&w. the t5i has been reduced to £489. £100 more than the b&w which i think is worth it. you get a nicer finish and rel reliability.
I've been an owner of a REL T5 for almost nine years. It's a great little musical sub. Very fast and precise and fairly easy to set up with the high level Neutrik input. It underpins the bass beautifully with 5.1 music such as multi channel SACD, blu-ray, etc. I've long stopped using it with stereo as my speakers go deep enough for my personal taste. It's not a sub that will kick you in the chest with bass notes. You will hear the bass because of it's speed. Never draws attention to itself just does a good job of underpinning the notes. The T7i would be even better. If you are thinking of using with a home cinema as well the T5 does lack the slam required for film soundtracks.

Upvote 0

Bugtao

Novice Member
I finally decided on getting the REL T5i. When trying to find the best place to put it I discovered that my listening position was the worst possible place for base in the room. After much experimentation I finally got a setup I was happy with. The subwoofer sounds good although I think I probably should have gone for one a bit more powerful. I have the volume turned up to almost max on the sub to get a well balanced sound.

I was enjoying listening to Dark Side of the Moon, that was sounding great, when my right speaker went pop. I think the main driver is blown. The right channel on my amp is also blown. Will have to start a new thread about how how to fix them! Feeling very sad...

Upvote 0

Bugtao

Novice Member
I finally decided on getting the REL T5i. When trying to find the best place to put it I discovered that my listening position was the worst possible place for base in the room. After much experimentation I finally got a setup I was happy with. The subwoofer sounds good although I think I probably should have gone for one a bit more powerful. I have the volume turned up to almost max on the sub to get a well balanced sound.

I was enjoying listening to Dark Side of the Moon, that was sounding great, when my right speaker went pop. I think the main driver is blown. The right channel on my amp is also blown. Will have to start a new thread about how how to fix them! Feeling very sad...
Happy again! Managed to fix the amp (feeling very proud of myself) and the speakers (but only after blowing the other one as well). Sounds fantastic now. Subwoofer has made a big difference, but so also has new speaker and listening placement. Am really enjoying music again for the first time in years.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom