1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer for Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rjsbass, Aug 10, 2005.

1. rjsbass

rjsbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, i play bass and i got a question. When you buy a subwoofer, like a 12inch Eminence for instruments, does the woofer come with cables to plug into an amp head? Or does the woofer just come with the cone and nothing else.

Example : http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-424

I'm planning on getting that and making a speaker for my bass guitar

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is the wrong area for questions like this. That speaker is not an AV subwoofer, it's a pro bass driver. It comes as driver only.

You'll need to build a box, which is not a simple exercise if you want to get it right. You'll need to decide what type of box you want (sealed or vented), then calculate the best box size and (if vented) reflex port dimensions from the Vas, Qts and Fs parameters given on the page. Search for "Thiele-Small" to find out how to use these.

You'll then need to wire a jack or Speakon connector from the back of the box to the back of the driver.

Unless you want the learning experience, I'd go shopping for a pre-built system at your local music shop. Check out Ashdown...

3. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    There are lots of questions you need to ask unless you like the smell of burnt plastic :D

I would recommend going onto the newsgroup uk.music.guitar

A friendly bunch, and many DIY'ers around. As Troon says, a home cinema sub and an amplifier for a bass guitar are very different beasts indeed.

I personally have home cinema and guitar interests. But I draw the line at building amps, so cannot help other than the above info.

Gary