1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer for around £100

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Sandeep, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Sandeep

Sandeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to home cinema having just recently managed to experience dolby digital sound from my Philips PW9616 television.

The sound is great but I feel there is still something lacking. I realised that a subwoofer would do the trick. There is a socket for the subwoofer in the back of the tv but I don't know which subwoofer to buy.

Having done some prior research I came up with the following models:

Yamaha YST-SW005 (£93.99) http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=YAMYSTSW005BK

Sony SA-WM20 (£107.99 in unbeatable.co.uk)
    http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item....461&telesale=null&hidden=null&cps=null&type=s

Aiwa TSW37 (£49.95)
    http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/jsp/makelink.jsp?collection=goforgold&zone=eCometZone

Eltax ATOMIC A10 (£129.95)
    http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/jsp/makelink.jsp?collection=goforgold&zone=eCometZone

Are these any good and will they work with my philips tv?
    Also are there any other websites where these may be cheaper?
    Are there any better models for around £100?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks

P.S. Here is a link to prove that the tv does have a subwoofer socket. Refer to the bottom of p33.
    http://www2.consumer.philips.com/gl...sets/downloads/en_32pw9615_32pw9616_2_dfu.pdf

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Sandeep,

Save your £100 and do a lot of reading on this website and in Home Cinema Choice. A sub on its own is not going to give you anything very satisfying. You really need to be thinking about a more holistic solution.

Sorry if this sounds negative but I'm trying to save you money.

3. Sandeep

Sandeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have already got a dolby digital sound set up and it sounds great.

I just wanna got that step further with the subwoofer.

I know that it will make a difference.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I think what Dubbing Mixer meant was you should look at a reciever,speakers and sub rather than connecting a sub to the tv sub out socket. :)

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you really want to go down this path there are a couple of alternative choices. Either check out what sub Phillips recommend to go with the set and stay with that or try to buy something which will work with a seperate AV amp and speakers later.

If the latter, then you might want to look at a slightly higher Yamaha model or you might try Hyperfi and see what they have heavily reduced.

Hyperfi
    67 - 73 Longbridge Road, Barking, Essex IG11 8TG
    Tel: 020 8591 6961/2 Fax: 020 8594 3996

They did have some KEF 30B s for around £200 and they may well have 20Bs for something closer to your budget.

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldn't touch any sub retailing at those prices...

You get what you pay for - or in this case, don't.

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whilst I agree with Pointon, if somebody insists on taking the road to hell they may at least have the most comfortable ride their budget allows.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Buy second hand or go DIY. Subs at this price are a game of Russian roulette stack against you.

9. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I agree Nic, i wanted a big sub because of the obvios reasons and because i have a large room to fill.
    Faced with the options i was looking at at least a grand to do the job i wanted.
    So i opted to spend a while waiting and i used this website to help me choose a good second hand sub.
    In the end i managed to get hold of a Paradigm servo15 for £320 which im sure Nic will agree you simply cant buy anything like it for the money.
    My point is if you dont want to spend loads bide your time and read lots about the kind of things you want because that way you will have the knowledge to snap someone's hand off when that bargain comes along (and it will eventually)
    Good luck hunting,
    regards,John.

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I'd reccommend a Paradigm PDR10 or PS1000.

Richer Sounds were selling them for £120 and £150 respectively recently, and they are good value for money.

I have a PDR10 in my lounge, and it performs very well with the Sherwood amp I'm using there.

When compared with the Rel Q200E I have with my Denon 3802, the PDR10 doesn't fall far short to be honest - it's surprisingly good! Not as tight or as deep, but not much in it to warrant the huge price difference imho.

At least with RS, if it doesn't perform well for whatever reason, they'll normaly take it back and refund you. Better check with the store you go to though, as not all seem to honour this policy.

I'm not sure how good the lfe output of your tv is, but at least it'll be a half decent sub if you upgrade to an amp at a later date.

Gary.

11. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, even I will have to admit that £100 simply won't get you a good subwoofer.

It may get you a "sub"woofer which goes deeper than a TV set though, and if that's all you want, then perhaps a suitable unit can be sourced for that price.
    Even spending just another £50 or so though, will get a better unit (though still a long way short of "state of the art").

Depends what you expect for your money really!!

12. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    try before you buy.. i had a sub £100 sub and it wasnt great. it did add that little extra to the TV but when driven hard it farted like a vibrator in an ice cream tub...

as with RS buy the eltax try it for a time in the loung then if its no good for you take it back and save up the pennies for one of the bigger boys

one thing is important to remember once you have a sub its very hard not to own one....