Subwoofer for AG8 and other oled's

kenfowler3966

Established Member
Reaction score
I note there is an option to improve sound on my tv by plugging a subwoofer into the headphone socket. I guess this is common to recent Sony oled tv's.

However it is not obvious what to get as nothing comes up on search?
Any recommendations please, and if anyone has done this is it worthwile?

I just came across this thread and was wondering the same thing! Did you find something from other sources?

I have AF8 (almost the same as AG8) and Velodyne SPL-800i sub plugged in. For me this setup works and brings weight to the sound. I had to fiddle with subwoofer and TV EQ settings many times to get it right though.

Have just been looking at options for a 2.1 system for my AG8 and found this thread.

@KKANI - did you find with your Velodyne the TV audio/sound was drowned out? And needing more speakers?

Hopefully we get some more replies.

Think most subs in the 300-500 range would do a good job. Obviously you could spend a lot more on a better sub,but for most people a sub in the 300-500 will be good enough

Have just been looking at options for a 2.1 system for my AG8 and found this thread.

@KKANI - did you find with your Velodyne the TV audio/sound was drowned out? And needing more speakers?

Hopefully we get some more replies.

In my case the Velodyne (SPL-800i) sub works very well with AF8 as a 2.1 system. I believe AG8 works in a similar way. I don't think my setup needs more speakers to sound good. Of course, It's far from proper audio system and obviously no surround sound, but on the other hand it's definitely better than most normal soundbars.

AF8 doesn't have any adjustment for the subwoofer, just basic EQ for the Acoustic Surface. I adjusted the subwoofer settings like crossover and volume + adjusted TV EQ so that the sub blends and supports TV's sound output. Sound is now punchy and gives good low end support.

@KKANI - what receiver are you running to power the Velodyne SPL-800i ?

@KKANI - what receiver are you running to power the Velodyne SPL-800i ?

None. Subwoofer has it's own amplification and is plugged straight to the TV's 3.5mm headphone jack . You only have to remember to configure headphone jack output to function as subwoofer output.

@KKANI - this may be an option for me to explore then.

Currently umm'ing and r'ing about an AVR to power some QA 3020i's and possibly a sub. But if i can find a sub that powers its self, i can get a relatively simple AVR for the 3020i's.

@KKANI - this may be an option for me to explore then.

Currently umm'ing and r'ing about an AVR to power some QA 3020i's and possibly a sub. But if i can find a sub that powers its self, i can get a relatively simple AVR for the 3020i's.

Most of the subwoofers sold today are "active subwoofers", meaning that it has an an internal amplifier. There shouldn't be any problems finding active subwoofer and most of them will work fine with your TV. But if you plan to use external speakers and AVR then I don't see the point to connect subwoofer to the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom