1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer excesive noise - cable fault?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by harrison99, Nov 6, 2004.

1. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like some help please.

I have an Audica speaker system which works fine. I want to move the subwoofer to the other end of my room and have bought a 10m Prowire cable. When I plug it into the sub I get a very loud grrring noise.

Any ideas why?

Many thanks

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Is the noise just when you plug the connectors together or a permanent thing when it's all wired up? Could you describe the noise in more detail ie is it loud with constant tone or more like white noise etc?

Before plugging subwoofers in it's important to turn off the amplifier at it's electrical switch (rather than just put it on standby) so as not to damage the muting capacitors.

3. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a permanent noise and is very loud, even with the volume set low.
    The noise is low pitch and sounds like a ship's horn!

Many thanks

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Assuming that the sub worked in its previous location with a different cable (and is still fine using a different cable) then it sounds like your new wire is damaged. You could try it elsewhere in your system to see if it causes problems there, trying it temporarily as the digital audio connection between your DVD and amp might show up the problem obviously. Otherwise perhaps try it in place of a normal audio or video interconnect elsewhere.

That'll just demonstrate that it is the cable that's faulty (probably not been terminated very well or a kink has damaged the dielectric). Either way you're best taking it back for a replacement.

5. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a thought its not picking up any interference from the new location, the Sub or wire route, i.e. near a power source?

6. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried a different cable and it makes the same noise! It works fine with the cable supplied by Audica though.

Is there any possibility that it is a non-standard cable?

The other possible option IO would loike advice on is to use the conventional inputs on the sub - I can configure my amp (Denon 770SD) to dedliver a subwoofer output from the surround back outputs (I have a speaker 5.1 system).

The conventional inputs on the sub have + and - connectors for both L and R inputs (i.e. 4 in total) - am I right in assuming that you connect the L- to the - output on the amp, and the rR to the R+ output on the amp?

7. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the above - need to put new batteries in my keyboard!

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Hmmm. Seems strange although I'm not familiar with the Audica equipment itself. Is the supplied Audica cable a standard RCA phono connector at each end?

Also, what sort of level have you got the subwoofer gain set to? It's often necessary to tweak it for different cables.

9. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a conventional RCA cable - it plugs into the subwoofer output in the amp.

With the Audica cable I have the volume set to 2/3 of max - with the other cable even at 5% volume you get the grring noise and at half volume it is unbearably loud.

10. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I should have posted the outcome of the subwoofer problem.

It turned out to be a fault with the connection block on the speaker. This was replaced instantly by Audica - excellent customer service and the replacement is fine.