1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer equalisation using foobar2k's "Convolver" plugin

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MuFu, Nov 12, 2003.

1. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is neat! It's a software DSP that analyses a short, "impulse" response and from that can derive pretty much any combination of EQ, reverb etc and implement it in foobar's audio pipeline. The idea is that you take a reference impulse file (usually a white noise "blip") and apply your own effects to it - Convolver identifies these and applies them to whatever foobar is playing at the time.

I've been messing around with it for a couple of hours this evening, using Cool Edit's parametric equaliser to process the impulse file.

[​IMG]

The blue plot is the native room response and the purple plot is with the DSP active. The difference in terms of real-world listening is remarkable. You can see I had an absolutely huge peak at ~64Hz which created that uncomfortable "pressure-in-the-ears feeling" on certain tracks (like sitting in the back of a car going at 80mph with just the front windows open, lol). Not perfect but it's a start and I'm sure I can get things +/-3dB without much more effort.

A nice free upgrade for 2 channel HTPC output. :)

MuFu.

P.S. I think there's something similar available for Winamp as well.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    That looks really good, how does it sound?

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Jeff. Sounds good, yeah - like I said, there was a typically peaky in-room response before which has been sorted now. First impression is "where's the bass gone?!" but it's still there of course, just without the mid-bass bloom. Calibration's a little off now (was 85dB originally) but I can always sort that out later on.

I wonder how long it'll be be before one of the open source projects produces something similar that can handle multiple audio streams. A software layer that sits between the driver and Theatertek, PowerDVD etc, applying realtime equalisation (possibly self-calibrating) would be awesome. I doubt soundcard IHV's will ever incorporate such a feature into their drivers - there just isn't the demand.

MuFu.

4. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prompted by this thread I did a bit of searching on AVSForums and found THIS

Sounds interesting.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks. Lots of stuff there to digest! As usual the AVS guys are a huge step ahead. :D

Seems there might be a multichannel solution that can automatically generate a filter to correct a room's impulse response on the horizon. Tantalising.

[Edit] Just finished reading all 17 pages - Jones_Rush's results using acoustical treatment + DRC are astonshing. I mean... WOW. :eek:

MuFu.