1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer doesn't always give correct effect

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dr.Rock, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I'm doing something wrong, and hoping to rectify this.

I have my subwoofer set at (what seems to be) a proper level. Running a test tone through it from my amp and using a SPL meter gives a nice rumble. When I watch films on it, I feel good thumps from it at appropriate moments such as Star Wars films, Jurassic Park III, etc. But with certain films, the subwoofer doesn't give the thump at times I would expect it to. For example, I don't feel vibrations when the T-Rex stamps its foot down in the original Jurasic Park and in Godzilla, the scenes that are well-known subwoofer moments. If I turn the subwoofer up so I get something from those particular moments, it'll be too high for when I watch other films.

Can anyone identify what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Setup: Denon 2802 amp, Mission M72 speaker package, B&W powerbass subwoofer.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Maybe you have the subwoofer crossover set wrongly. It is also quite possible that the bits where you hear the subwoofer working are quite easy for the sub to reproduce and are using the upper bass frequencies. Scenes such as the T-Rex sequence in Jurassic Park use very low frequencies that a lot of subwoofers are not capable of reproducing properly. If you are looking for a subwoofer that can reproduce most LFE effects with ease then I can highly recommend the REL Stentor 3 which I use myself. There are of course many subwoofers on the market and it may be time to look at upgrading. The REL Stentor 3 retails at £2500 and there are of course many alternatives at that price point and below.