1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer - do I really need one?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by RL123, Jan 4, 2003.

1. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just got into home cinema and as I'm a student and still live with my parents, I'm on a very 'humble' setup so to speak.

I've got a decent receiver (Marantz 4200) and some good budget speakers that I've bought from various places.

Anyway my question is: given the size of my room (about 11ft x 10ft give or take) do I really need a subwoofer to 'complete' the system?

I've got my front speakers set up to receive LFE and, after 3 weeks of having the system, have no complaints about 'missing bass'. I've just finished watching Terminator 2 in DTS and certainly have nothing bad to say about the sound.

So is it worth getting a budget sub (£70-100 perhaps) or should I just leave it and stick with what I've got?

There are about 8 or 9 things that I would like to spend that money on (including a new DVD player - using my PS2 at the moment :() so should they be a higher priority for me?

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You have asked two questions and in answer to your first :- "Do I really need a subwoofer" I would answer yes but in answer to your second question, quoted above, the answer is no unless you can find something decent second hand.

Try and listen to a system with and without a sub so that you can see for yourself what a difference it makes but don't waste your money on a cheap boom box as they don't increase the enjoyment of the film experience at all.

3. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok thanks. I will try and get somebody to give me a demo then. I think I will need to test it in my room though because like I said, my room is pretty small and I don't want it to be overwhelming

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember saying a while back that the subwoofer is the "engine room" of a home theatre system. I stand by that.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I have got a sub and would not be without it, but.....

1. You live with your parents. Will they put up with the house shaking every time you watch a movie or listen to music.

2. You are happy with the sound of your system. Why spend money you don't need to?

3. As Ian J said a cheap sub will be of little value to your setup. I would advise getting the DVD player with your £100.

When you have the money and space then without a doubt you MUST get yourself a sub.

Mark

6. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MarkE19
    I live with my parents also and have a Godzilla in my room.:devil:

7. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    That because they are too sh!t scared to go up and see whats making all that GOD DAMN NOISE!

8. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Yeah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

In a way I do want a sub now but there are more important things I could spend that money on

Thanks everyone :)

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is very small but that doesn't stop me from using a subwoofer..............................I don't want anyone editing that sentence and replacing the words "room" and "subwoofer" with "willy" and "condom" :blush: :D

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :p

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wakefield is only half an hour away you know :D

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    And if you didn't know, Bob's address is 47 Acacia Avenue

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, just tooling up now, watch a few episodes of Sopranos for inspiration then pay Mr Bob a visit :)

What was this thread about again? :D

14. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,183
    Bloody rough area as well :eek: :D

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have you forgotten already. Bob called you a cissy

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I've been watching Sopranos for inspiration it would appear you've been watching "The Devil's Advocate" for inspiration :D

17. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dependant on your speakers, Yamaha's YST-SW005 is quite good, I have mine turned right down low just to add a little to the bottom of the range. TBH I don't really need it as the difference it has made is marginal in 95% of material. Going to try it a little louder once it's had some proper break in time.

18. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just checked the specs on the Yamaha YST-SW005 (as I hadn't heard of it) - I'm not surprised it hasn't made much of a difference:

http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/pdfs/specsheets/YSTSW005.pdf

It has a 16cm driver and is rated at 55 watts but, get this, this output is based on a 5 ohm impedance at 100Hz and with 10% THD!! This makes their lower frequency range of 30Hz look all the more dubious.

To be honest, other than as a partner to some ultra-cheap satellites/pc speakers, I'd stay away from subs like this - they often do more harm than good and go no lower than a good pair of main speakers.

Matt.

19. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The Yamaha Subwoofers don't start to get interesting until you get to the 205, the 305 is good for the money. I had a Yamaha 205 for sometime then I met Uncle Eric and got a Velodyne CHT 12 now thats a subwoofer!!!! Still breaking in so waiting to give full review. I would personally go for the CHT 8 if room is small or for a cheaper price the yamaha 305.

20. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm in a similar situation, but I really would like a subwoofer if I can find one that will make a difference in my price range. Dabs.com have a Sony SA-WM40 for £165, and the reviews I've read (only ones I can find are from an American site) are very positive indeed. Does anyone have anything to say about this subwoofer, or any other advice on this subject? I really can't afford much more than that, though.

Cheers.

21. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just by adding another £25-£35 you could get a second hand Rel Q50 or even Q100 at a push, either of these would walk all over the Sony. ;)

22. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    yamaha 205 are £154 at unbeatable.co.uk now I can recommend that for a small room but the sony reviews on audioreview.com are exceptional!

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    So are most reviews on anything on that site. The Sony is at best a midwoofer and will add very little to competent speakers.

I agree with Bob to keep your eyes peeled for a second hand REL Q50, Q100 or Strata or a Paradigm but I am not sure of the model numbers.

24. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK then, thanks. Where exactly do you guys look for 2nd hand stuff?

If I'm struggling to find anything, do you have any thoughts on the Yamaha YST-SW 205 that was suggested?

If it's relevant perhaps I should point out that a) my room is small, and b) my current speakers are pretty poor - I plan to replace them when I stop feeling guilty about the new tv/amp/sub etc!

25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Either look in the classified forum here or http://www.ex-dem.co.uk/ is also quite good.

The saying "Buy in haste and repent at leisure" was surely written about subwoofers. They are one of the single most expensive items to buy so if you are struggling to find something now, just wait awhile as something will always be just around the corner.

In general, Yamaha subwoofers are in a different class to REL or Paradigm

26. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are the forum classifieds on here, also have a look in the classifieds on the Official forums of....Home Cinema Choice, Total DVD etc, the links can be found at the top of the page. Also have a look at the auction sites like Ebay or even try ex dem models from some of the online companies. ex-dem

I use to run the Yamaha YSTW150 gave only reasonable results, most of the time all it was good for was muddy bass and boom. IMO I wouldn't expect the 205 to be much different. There's no comparison between a second hand RelQ50 and the Yamaha, Rel would win hands down.

27. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you. I'm off to do some searching.

28. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah thanks from me as well :)

I'll wait for a while and keep my eyes open for a 2nd hand sub that you've recommended but I'll still want to test it in my room before I buy it.

29. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bothered to set it up properly today and much more happy with it. Money is my main consideration and my limit was £100. I can't listen to anything very loud as my parents would disown me if I did. It doesn't go a lot lower than M73s but it works a lot better at low volumes, especially as my SR4200 isn't as musical as the Yamaha it replaced.

205 isn't great, but it does what I want it to do.

30. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Like it has been said I found the Yamaha ok as long as the lead was good with a Y interconnect to the phono inputs. Also for a small room you should find it better than most things for that price! The 205 is way better than the 105! and if you want to spend say £200 then the 305 would be the better bet!
    I have a Velodyne and have listened to the Rel and agree you can't compare the Yamaha's to these but as a budget brand these subs do a good job IMHO
    I've had my Yamaha for over 1 year now and managed very well until we recently changed the room, etc to give us more space. Current room is now c18' x 11' so a reasonable size