1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofer?-do i need one

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cussycod, Mar 6, 2001.

1. cussycod

cussycod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my current set up is b&w 603-front,cc6-centre , ds6 -surrounds.run by my yamaha a1 amp.
    im getting my own place now(not stuck with my b/room,11' by 11'").the bass the 603's knock out are ample for me now.
    ive never heared a set up with a sub.
    how much difference does one make.

im concidering the b&w 500.any comments on this sub.

ill proberly get one anyway then my system will be finally complete.(ca'nt wait)

so any comments would be greatful
    thanks cod

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run an all Kef set up driven by an A1, which is supported by TWO REL STORMS. Without these subs in support movies lack the punch that low frequencies give to a movie or music for that matter. Audition one with your set-up and I guarantee you wont want to take it back (if you set it up correctly that is).

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  4. spenceruk

spenceruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have B&W DM601's all round and CC6 Centre. I always thought my system delivered decent bass but after an audition of the REL Q200E I was persuaded otherwise. When I got it home I was initially disappointed until, with kind help from others on this forum, I realised I hadn't set it up properly!! In short, for movies, a (correctly set up)sub makes a HUGE difference. Go for it and enjoy!!!

5. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For a long time I just had a meagre set, still have actually.... but then Ramius pointed me into the diy(for me thats means putting a kit together) route and now I finally have a sub... wow what a difference, night and day, I'd say definitely go for it.
    No idea about the one you suggested though.
    Philmate.

------------------
    "Beware the Wok child"

6. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard the ASW500 and I'm pretty sure it won't be up to your 603's. The 1000's better, but I'm getting more Music out of my IPL SW2, the ASW1000 could be a close second for clout, but not for value. If you like kits the SW2 is small, tight, passes the THX test and is easy to build. Just hope Ivan can make enough of them.
    Rob.

7. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, I've got the 602's

8. cussycod

cussycod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies,
    where do you get the kits from.are they easy to build.are they good value?

i dont crank the sound right up when watching movies(respect of neighbours).so its not loudness i'm really after its more sound quality.(i gather a sub takes some of the strain of the l/r speakers),also its only a smallish room.

i was also thinking of the rel Q50 because it wont be pushed very often.would this be powerful enough.
    thanks cod

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run a rel Q50 in my setup. My room measures 15' x 13.5'.
    I find the Q50 an excellent sub-woofer. Now I can feel my films as well as hear them.
    I'm not sure if rel make them anymore as in adverts in mags they all seem to start from the Q100.
    For my part i'd thouroughly recomend rel, and my Q50 as well.
    ninc0

10. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's quality at 120watts RMS your after, this http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_sw2_active_subwoofer.htm kit takes some beating!

If the set-up is right, the sound pressure in the room can reduce the loading on the main speakers whether the subs amp is using high-level or low-level inputs, yes.

Plenty for most people, but we're all different!