Subwoofer Decision - REL Q150E MK2 or MJ Acoustics Reference 150

Status
Not open for further replies.

@nt

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm new to these forums, so hello :hiya: :)

I can't decide between these two - both seem to get reviews full of praise. Any good / bad things about them both?

Many thanks. :)

If your budget runs to £280 have a look at the BK XLS200...PJ

Umm, now the SVS PB10 has caught my eye... especially for £420 :)

If that's your budget the BK Monolith is supposed to be pretty good...PJ

@nt said:
Umm, now the SVS PB10 has caught my eye... especially for £420 :)

The SVS PB-10 is in a completely different league to the REL and MJ subs that you listed and I am talking from personal experience as I have owned the PB-10 and have heard both of the other two.

It is also in a different league sizewise as it is considerably larger than the other two but if you can find the space for it you won't regret buying it.

A severe case of upgradeitis even before purchasing the first sub... :eek:

How does the monolith compare to the pb10-isd?
Also what would you buy pb10-isd or monolith cosidering the pb10-isd has 3 year warranty.

MADMAND said:
How does the monolith compare to the pb10-isd?
Also what would you buy pb10-isd or monolith cosidering the pb10-isd has 3 year warranty.
I'n my opinion the Monolith beats the PB10 in almost very aspect.
It sound's tighter, looks better and has more raw SPL to give.
I've tried them both out thoroughly and I would surely choose the Monolith.

Yes but the fact that the pb10-isd has two years extra warranty outweighs a £10 cable.
Is the monolith reliable?

MADMAND said:

BK seem a very good manufacturer, no reason to believe they are any less reliable than SVS...PJ

MADMAND said:
Yes but the fact that the pb10-isd has two years extra warranty outweighs a £10 cable.

Yes.

Correct me if I am wrong.
If something breaks down in a speaker/ you notice something is wrong, this happens in the beginning. Both companies would most certainly replace the defective unit asap. If something goes wrong after lets say 10 months, both companies will probably check that the unit/part has not been misused.

Also, the Monolith has a better back panel, with more connectivity and easier crossover options.

No matter when a product becomes faulty (not misused) as long as its within the first year it should be replaced by law.

MADMAND said:
No matter when a product becomes faulty (not misused) as long as its within the first year it should be replaced by law.

Yes. Btw. I have heard of both companies having faulty units/parts, and in both cases there was no problem getting replacement parts. :clap: for good customer service.

jan & Marek - You appear to have seen, heard and reviewed the BK Gemini ( an English subwoofer) before us in England had even heard it or before any mention of the new model was made on their website and you have also listened to the rest of the BK range too.

Is there something that you aren't telling us :confused:

MADMAND said:

Not quite, you are entitled to a repair free of charge including parts and labour.

Ian J said:
jan & Marek - You appear to have seen, heard and reviewed the BK Gemini ( an English subwoofer) before us in England had even heard it or before any mention of the new model was made on their website and you have also listened to the rest of the BK range too.

Is there something that you aren't telling us :confused:

Well we were part of some powerbuys, and the nice people at BK sent a Gemini along for testing.

The story of the Gemini as I understand it is:
The sub has been produced for some time already, for http://www.arisaudio.com/products.html, by essex-audio for the US market. But as everything has to be large in the US, they did not sell to well, hence BK took it back as their own product.

MarekFIN said:
The sub has been produced for some time already, for http://www.arisaudio.com/products.html, by essex-audio for the US market.

I don't blame them for not buying it as I wouldn't buy anything badged as "Aris" either as it means something completely different in colloquial English :rotfl:

MarekFIN said:
Well we were part of some powerbuys, and the nice people at BK sent a Gemini along for testing.

The story of the Gemini as I understand it is:
The sub has been produced for some time already, for http://www.arisaudio.com/products.html, by essex-audio for the US market. But as everything has to be large in the US, they did not sell to well, hence BK took it back as their own product.
Bleah. I was going to tell that I'm so special that I get things that I want... :devil: ;)

Cheers for the advice guys - a few of your comments have completely opened my eyes to what other subs there are out there :D :smashin:

Think I'm sold on the Monolith, now I'm just decided what colour to have - I have Cherry-coloured speakers, but black looks so damn cool... Anyone got any pics of Cherry just to make my mind up?

:)

@nt said:
Cheers for the advice guys - a few of your comments have completely opened my eyes to what other subs there are out there :D :smashin:

Think I'm sold on the Monolith, now I'm just decided what colour to have - I have Cherry-coloured speakers, but black looks so damn cool... Anyone got any pics of Cherry just to make my mind up?

:)
http://www.dvdplaza.fi/galleria/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7623
Hopefully you find some valuable pics there :)
The Cherry pics is not as good as the black one. I think it was done in a studio. There is also a light oak Monolith besides a silver XLS200.

BTW. Consider if you want a normal grill or the fishnet one. I would take the fishnet for the black and the normal for the cherry. But that is just me :rolleyes:

Nice one, I've decided on black. :) :cool:

All ordered! Wow, what an effect this forum has had already ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom