Subwoofer decision: PSA V1812 or Arendal Sub 3 for movies.

PSA V1811/ V1812 or Arendal Sub 3 for movies.

• PSA V1811/ V1812

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Arendal Sub 3

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Last Hope

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

I hope you can help me to make a decision as I can´t home demo them.

I have an small room, around 1400 cubic feet. Now, I have an SVS PB2000 and I´d like to improve it. It will be used mainly for movies.

Two questions are around my mind:

1.- Are the subs too big for my room or, by other side, they will fit perfectly and I will improve by a big margin my sound system?
2.- Which one of the 2 mentioned are more capable or advisable for movies?

Greetings!!

My room is smaller than yours, I’ve got 2 sub3 and 2 sub1 in my room, so no, your room isn’t too small 😎

How does it compare to the PSA I wouldn’t know....

Thanks mb3195 for your quick reply,

Then, the first question is clearly answered😄 I have looked what you have, and, regarding to audio and video you have a very powerful room. Congrats!!😃

Now, let´s see if someone can enlight me with the second question, if it´s more advisable the PSA or the Arendal for movies.

Thanks Andy!!

One vote for Arendal.

A reason/ reasons using the Arendal over the PSA?

Depends if looks are that important to you to a certain extent too, the new PSA TV18 is getting some pretty stellar reviews stateside, so might be worth looking at that too.

Thanks mb3195 for your quick reply,

Then, the first question is clearly answered😄 I have looked what you have, and, regarding to audio and video you have a very powerful room. Congrats!!😃

Now, let´s see if someone can enlight me with the second question, if it´s more advisable the PSA or the Arendal for movies.

The arendals are really good with movies, they produce a serious amount of output between 50-80hz which is really where you need it.

They don’t go very low though, in room I get down to around 16-17hz, the psa will likely go lower if that’s important to you.

Depends if looks are that important to you to a certain extent too, the new PSA TV18 is getting some pretty stellar reviews stateside, so might be worth looking at that too.

Thanks Frank, I will look at it!! The TV18 seems, looking at specs, a very capable one. But now, I wouldn´t like to spend more.

The arendals are really good with movies, they produce a serious amount of output between 50-80hz which is really where you need it.

They don’t go very low though, in room I get down to around 16-17hz, the psa will likely go lower if that’s important to you.

With the SVS I feel the lower ones but less the higher ones. The idea is which one would suit or perform better for movies. Right now, I am more inclined to the Arendal as you told me it produces a lot of output between 50-80 hz. If the PSA go lower but it hasn´t got the same or similar amount of output between 50-80 hz i think it´s better choice the Arendal.

2 votes for Arendal 0 for PSA.

Thanks both.

PSA if it's mainly for movies imo.

A few forum members have moved from Arendal subs to PSA after finding the Arendal subs lacking something.

PSA if it's mainly for movies imo.

A few forum members have moved from Arendal subs to PSA after finding the Arendal subs lacking something.

Thanks Saul!!

It´s important for me listen those members opinions who have move from Arendal to PSA.

Greetings!!

The V1812 won't get much lower than that. I'd say 18-20hz in most rooms. It's designed for max capabilities from 20-120hz.

Tom V.

The V1812 won't get much lower than that. I'd say 18-20hz in most rooms. It's designed for max capabilities from 20-120hz.

Tom V.

Very small room. 1400 cubic feet = 11sqm. I assume you would recommend some of the sealed models (S1812 / S18 IPAL)?

Few years back in interview you mentioned; In a smaller room, anything under 3,000 cubic feet effective room volume, including the room space it’s open to, I usually prefer a sealed enclosure. That’s with our subs. We have fairly large enclosures, a lot of cone area, and use shallow roll offs in the deep bass. This often gives response down to the 7 to 10 Hz range with our sealed models.

Thanks Frank, I will look at it!! The TV18 seems, looking at specs, a very capable one. But now, I wouldn´t like to spend more.

The TV1812 is an entirely different animal than the V1812. They do share the same amplifier hardware(built in Ohio ICE based) and woofers(Italian Neo). However the TV1812 cabinet is dramatically larger which enables much lower extension capabilities. Customers have been posting in room response down to 6-9hz.

But as you noted. They are more expensive AND the cabinets are big. So they won't be everyone's cup-of-tea. Then again, for those who crave single digit extension..:)

Tom V.

Very small room. 1400 cubic feet = 11sqm. I assume you would recommend some of the sealed models (S1812 / S18 IPAL)?

Few years back in interview you mentioned; In a smaller room, anything under 3,000 cubic feet effective room volume, including the room space it’s open to, I usually prefer a sealed enclosure. That’s with our subs. We have fairly large enclosures, a lot of cone area, and use shallow roll offs in the deep bass. This often gives response down to the 7 to 10 Hz range with our sealed models.

Only speaking to our products(many sealed subs from other brands include steep high pass filters) you would enjoy single digit extension with any of our sealed models. The overall sound quality would be similar...it is just a matter of ensuring adequate output capabilities for your most demanding audio playback.

In such a small room the first mode will likely be >35hz. So the main advantage for two smaller subs will be the increase in headroom(add about 6dB) and a potential smoothing effect 35-100hz. But the smoothing effect is dependent on optimizing placement too.

So something like two smaller S1512 for example.

Tom V.

@30CenturyMan and @DodgeTheViper are two that come to mind.

Thanks Saul, if they don´t reply this thread I will try to contact them.

Thanks Gasp3621!!
My room is about 15 square meters 4,1x3,7, stills small though, less than 3,000 cubic feet.

The TV1812 is an entirely different animal than the V1812. They do share the same amplifier hardware(built in Ohio ICE based) and woofers(Italian Neo). However the TV1812 cabinet is dramatically larger which enables much lower extension capabilities. Customers have been posting in room response down to 6-9hz.

But as you noted. They are more expensive AND the cabinets are big. So they won't be everyone's cup-of-tea. Then again, for those who crave single digit extension..:)

Tom V.

Quite big for my room, and out of the budget right now.

Thanks Tom for the info!!

I went from a Sub3 to two PSA S1811 subs (with an S1500 that was loaned to me inbetween) And while the Sub3 is a perfectly capable sub, with excellent 18-20hz extension, it was just too big to add another in a 1700cuft room. The S1811 are a lot smaller and a different beast, they offer the perfect amount of headroom over useable extension. So it really depends on how loud you listen to your movies.. If it's around -20MV I'd probably go with an Arendal as the lower frequencies won't really matter much at such a low volume. If you listen closer to reference level then a sealed PSA sub might be better IMO, either a 15 or for a few db of extra headroom around 16-100hz, an 18..

So something like two smaller S1512 for example.

Tom V.

Yep i was thinking more for the OP. If he has budget for V1812, he can´t afford to buy dual S1512. So assuming he wants just one sub then something like S1812 / S18IPAL would be option too. The room is 4,1meter x 3,7 meter.

Also he mentioned; " With the SVS I feel the lower ones but less the higher ones "

I think even S1512 will outperform PB2000 from 30hz upwards and the S1812 will have massive output potential higher up, while digging in to single digits.

@Last Hope

I went from a Sub3 to two PSA S1811 subs (with an S1500 that was loaned to me inbetween) And while the Sub3 is a perfectly capable sub, with excellent 18-20hz extension, it was just too big to add another in a 1700cuft room. The S1811 are a lot smaller and a different beast, they offer the perfect amount of headroom over useable extension. So it really depends on how loud you listen to your movies.. If it's around -20MV I'd probably go with an Arendal as the lower frequencies won't really matter much at such a low volume. If you listen closer to reference level then a sealed PSA sub might be better IMO, either a 15 or for a few db of extra headroom from around 16-100hz an 18..

Thanks Paul!!

The volume I usually use is between 61/64 (of 99) in the volume knob. By now, I can only place one.

Yep i was thinking more for the OP. If he has budget for V1812, he can´t afford to buy dual S1512. So assuming he wants just one sub then something like S1812 / S18IPAL would be option too. The room is 4,1meter x 3,7 meter.

Also he mentioned; " With the SVS I feel the lower ones but less the higher ones "

I think even S1512 will outperform PB2000 from 30hz upwards and the S1812 will have massive output potential higher up, while digging in to single digits.

@Last Hope

Thanks Gasp!!

Now, I can´t afford two subs cause I haven´t got enough room right now to place them.

I´ll take a look at the subs you advise me. I want, if possible, a big improvement.

Greetings!!

Thanks Paul!!

The volume I usually use is between 61/64 (of 99) in the volume knob. By now, I can only place one.

You can change the volume ratio in the settings (just choose the -80 to +18 option) but from that I can determine you listen at the equivalent of about -15 to -20MV, so it really depends on how much to crave the lower frequencies below 20hz.. Personally I don't think the ULF are warranted at that volume, but the option is always there if you decide to go louder ;)

Thanks Paul!!

It seems to be a tough choice, for what I am reading both subs are similar. The PSA go lower and the Arendal seems to have more output in higher frecuencies.

If you had a poll, I would vote for the Arendal. That's about all I can add to be honest.

Have you considered one of the newer Arendal models, like the 1723 Sub2 S ?

Thanks Dodge!!

I will take it into account. The question is:

Is the Arendal 1723 Sub 2s (300 euros more)better than the Arendal Sub 3?

If you had a poll, I would vote for the Arendal. That's about all I can add to be honest.

Thanks for the idea D1gita1!!

I´ve created a poll, maybe it´s a little bit late, but better late than never.

Greetings!!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom