• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Subwoofer Cutting Out

LazyGit

Standard Member
Hi, I wonder if any of you can help me?

I have had a fairly cheap active Sony subwoofer for the last 9 years and it has done a very good job in that time regularly deafening my friends when I blast the THX logo. It came as part of the HTSL5 home cinema set. Nearly a year ago I replaced the amp with a Denon 1911.

A couple of months ago, the sub started cutting out. There would be a click and then no more bass. It doesn't seem to be a reproducible problem, sometimes working fine with load bass, sometimes cutting out as soon as the bass starts. It doesn't seem to be affected by heat either. What seems to affect it is manipulating the power cord where it enters the sub.

I have tried plugging it into a separate socket. I have tried using a different co-ax cable. I took the back off the unit, hoovered off the dust, disconnected any wires and reconnected them. I found while doing this that manipulating the mains cable can't have been doing much as it was screwed down at the entrance to the sub and continued further inside (unless the wire is frayed internally).

The audio from the amp is otherwise unaffected.

It's working as I type this but it will surely click itself off later.

Does anyone know what might be causing this that I can check for? It's probably not worth getting fixed professionally but I also don't want to shell out for a new sub right now (I have plans for a serious set-up in the future) so if there is a way for me to fix it that would be great.

Thanks for reading.

LazyGit

Standard Member
Hi LazyGit, did you ever find a solution to this?

Yes, I did, thank you very much.

I took the sub apart again not longer after I posted the message above. I unplugged every connection, blew on them and replaced them as firmly as I could. There was also a chip of some description screwed on to a heat sink. A lot of thermal grease was surrounding the chip. I took a chance and unscrewed it. I used a piece of card to scrape the grease back into the area where the chip and heat sink met. I screwed the chip back into place and put the sub back together. It has worked fine ever since.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
LazyGit said:
Hi LazyGit, did you ever find a solution to this?

Yes, I did, thank you very much.

I took the sub apart again not longer after I posted the message above. I unplugged every connection, blew on them and replaced them as firmly as I could. There was also a chip of some description screwed on to a heat sink. A lot of thermal grease was surrounding the chip. I took a chance and unscrewed it. I used a piece of card to scrape the grease back into the area where the chip and heat sink met. I screwed the chip back into place and put the sub back together. It has worked fine ever since.

Hi LazyGit, I'm relieved to see you have found a solution to this. I love happy endings, enjoy!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom