1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer crossover- what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nathan_silly, Jul 1, 2003.

?
  1. 40hz

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. 80hz

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  3. 120hz

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm flicking between 40hz & 80hz crossover on the MC-1 (sub set to max) and I seem to prefer the 40hz setting.. at any volume the subwoofer is less distracting - I can locate the subwoofer at 80hz, wheras with 40hz it's harder to locate.

Irrespective of your main speakers bass handling, what setting of sub xover do you lot prefer?

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nathan, does the MC-1 support frequencies other than 40 and 80Hz? I'm thinking of making that my next upgrade, and was hoping for a bit more choice...

Currently have no choice for movies - my Yamaha DSP-E800 is fixed at 90Hz I believe. I'd definitely like to try lower frequencies, though I doubt my mini-monitors would be too happy with much lower than 60Hz or so for movies...

For stereo (music) I currently have the sub set to 60Hz and it sounds good - 50Hz sounds a bit too disjointed, and 70Hz sounds a bit too loud/obvious. Ideally I'd like the volume to be a bit less (I've got it essentially set as low as it'll go without switching it off!), but it sounds good for most stuff. Maybe I'll look into some form of inline attenuation - any ideas?

Cheers,

Dunc

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MC-1 has four subwoofer settings.... Off (I guess it sends full full-range to the sub) 40hz, 80hz, 120hz.

It can't have seperate subwoofer crossovers for music and Dolby Digital/DTS.. however there IS a workaround of having two seperate settings. Set the standard speaker settings to xover 40hz on the subwoofer.. So when you listen (say music) the sub xover is 40hz.

And then whenever watching a DVD press the THX button.. that will set everything to 80hz.

You can have seperate volumes per sound mode (ie -5dB for 2 channel, -2 dB for Music Logic, +4dB for DD, + 3dB for DTS)

I guess if you really want minute differences (1hz increments) per format/mode you'll have to look at something more expensive.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've always used around 100Hz if the option was ever available. My thinking being that 80Hz is a bit too low, especially for my KEF 60s surrounds.

100Hz seems a good cut off point to send bass to a sub imho.

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    My experiences... :)

After about a year of "fiddling" I now have a sound that I'm totally happy with :)

My crossover is set to 80hz. I've certainly experimented with taking it higher - but I found that the bass became far too directional, any lower and my mains just really couldn't cope anywhere near as well as the sub. So... 80hz from my point of view is a perfect compromise :)

K.

6. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is at 35hz... the fronts are flat down to around 25 hz so I find the system integrates best at a very low Xover point.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    100hz ( Marantz SR5300 ).