Subwoofer crossover level...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonnyv, Aug 8, 2002.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have been advised to leave my subs crossover at maximum and let the amp control the crossover.

However i have seen the following review about paradigm speakers and the pdr-10 sub.

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/ht_loudspeakers/paradigm-stylus.html

it says ' The top curve is with the crossover wide open, and here we see an elevation of about 4 dB in the 70-100 Hz region. Setting the crossover control at mid rotation (about 90 Hz) yielded the curve below, which is amazingly flat, +/-1 dB from 20 to 90 Hz. And when it's set to the minimum 50 Hz setting we get some prominence in the deepest bass, which indicates this sub will work well with larger speakers in enhancing only the bottom octaves. On paper, this is a very impressive subwoofer for less than 500 bucks.'

What they are saying is setting the crossover at 90hz on the sub gives a flatter response from 20 to 90 hz.

Does this sound correct ?

cheers

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,306
    Hi Jonny

What´s not clear is whether they are measuring the speakers/sub on their own or actually with an amp/receiver connected as well. Looks to me like its only the speaker measurement. You may well get a different set of readings if the amp was involved (and its crossover setting).

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JonnyV

There is no "best" setting for a subwoofer crossover - it depends on the subwoofer and what speakers you are using it with.

If you just set for 90Hz, then you may get an overall response hole if your main speakers start to roll off at say 120Hz. However, if your main speakers start to roll off at say 50Hz, then you'll get a very noticable overall response peak as both your main speakers and the sub are reproducing the bass between 50-90Hz (this would almost certainly sound "boomy")

As for letting the amp do the crossover - well that's one option, but some AV amps are better than others when it comes to bass management, and in some modes many AV amps don't do bass management at all, even though in theory you've told the amp to do it. I've yet to see an AV amp manual that fully explains how it's bass management works (or really fully explains how the product works in general). Many AV amps have a stereo direct mode, which bypasses the amp's DSP altogether - and it's the DSP that does the bass management.

As for those response curves, you have to be careful reading too much into them - put the subwoofer in another room, and it will probably produce a different set of curves.