1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer connection

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bramski, Oct 3, 2005.

1. bramski

bramski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently bought a set of cheap sony 5.1 speaker. The Subwoofer is a passive one and has normal 2 core speaker wire hard wired to the back of it. My amp only has a phono socket for a subwoofer on the back of it. What do I need to attach the sub to the amp?

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Check the instructions on your reciever:
    If the phono socket for the Sub output of your amp is for an active amplifier, then it will only be outputting extremely low voltage (signal) at about 2v. This is very likely the case.

If it is the case, then your reciever's output requires you to have an Active Subwoofer which has it's own power input and amplifier.

Only suggestion I could make to use that sony Subwoofer would be to get a small rating-matched amplifier to power the sub.

You'll need to get the rating right and the cost and resulting bodge-job solution would probably not be worth it.

Try finding a cheap active sub and plug in with phone leads, Would be much better solution.

What's your sub budget if any?

Dan