Subwoofer connection woes!

PETR0LHEAD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm trying to integrate my sub into my stereo system, so 2 channel amplifier and sadly no sub line out.

The kicker is that the sub doesn't have speaker level input either, just low level line in.

Am i right to be considering a speaker level to line level converter, such as the following, or what have other folk used?

Adjustable Line Output Converter - PAC

I have used something very similar in a car install many years ago to add a sub into the car. Worked OK in the car but not sure how the quality would be with a house install. They are not that expensive so probably worth a punt to see how it sounds.

Yes that was my thinking too, so I've ordered an adjustable 2 channel version, and hopefully i can have a go with it

It'd be good to know what voltage etc i need to drop the low level line side down to and check for?

Plus, will this device be "invisible" to the amp as far as impedence loads goes, and therefore safe in the long term?

I believe the impedance is very high so basically does not change the impedance the amp is seeing when run in parallel to a pair of speakers.

Rather than in parallel to my current floorstanders, i was going to use the sp2 (room 2) speaker outputs, so i can switch on and off if not required

Would this be a better signal source than doubling up on my current in use outputs?

The speaker switching won't make any difference and will give you the ability to switch the sub in and out.

FYI, Speaker 2 is just a switch from the mains, no difference or separate amplification.

So youd agree that sp2 would be a good source for the line level converter and the sub, yes?

Yep! Get the simplest converter you can find, as it will have less components. The adjustable ones are not really required for this usage, as you can tweak the level on your sub.

The sp2 output is the same as putting it in parallel to the main speakers. If you had 2 sets of speakers connected and playing at the same time they would be in parallel and the amp would see the same as if you connected both speakers to the one output from the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom